Sorry folks.. shameless Youtube channel plug ..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't understand how people make any money at all out of YT. I've never received a penny.
I think you stand more chance if you are into cats.

Steve Maskery":o4kv8j42 said:
I don't understand how people make any money at all out of YT. I've never received a penny.
I think you stand more chance if you are into cats.

You've got to monetize your videos so that they have ads on them, I think the general rule of thumb used to be £1 = 1000 views roughly but that's probably changed these days due to adblock and the like. I think you have to have 1000 subscribers and a large number of monthly viewers before they consider monetizing your videos though.

Exactly, and that is difficult when you are doing something which is special interest like woodwork.
Now if I could only appeal to the youngsters who spend all day building virtual fantasy worlds...

I also believe that YT slashed the rates they pay, putting many previously viable channels out of business.

I've come to accept that mine is really a vanity project.

I will take your comments on board, the new saw I built is a lot safer with proper switch and a splitter.

I probably won't use a blade guard, but I'll make it known how the correct way of doing things is in Europe. And if I do something that's sketchy, I simply won't show it.

I'm all for letting people be the judge of their own actions, but I understand I have a duty of care if I'm broadcasting.

I've seen all the relevant table saw/ kickback stuff, and I've been using them for years now with no issues. I know that doesn't mean accidents can't happen, but hey, I could get hit by a car before reaching the workshop.

It is hard for me to take criticism, well meaning as it is. I must try harder :)

I watch a lot of Youtube content and the safety side of things is re-enforced with instructions and disclaimers, particularly in North American videos for obvious reasons. The UK videos also do it to a lesser extent. I think that this is done to ward off the comments related to it so, if you post content that is seen as unsafe, then all of the comments will be about that rather than about the actual content of the video.
That aside, my overall impression of the OP's Youtube videos is that they would benefit from a couple of dry runs to iron out what you want to say and when you want to say it. It comes across as a bit adhoc.

Slight digression:-

What are the public liability risks involved with promoting unsafe practices, likewise promoting a construction or design that later proves to have a serious safety flaw in its method of construction?

Does the liability change if you are taking an income from it's promotion?

Where are the lines drawn between a Kitemark/CE marked item and a hobby construct?

I'm thinking of both mechanical and electrical safety in use.

CHJ":iiosfwwc said:
Slight digression:-

What are the public liability risks involved with promoting unsafe practices, likewise promoting a construction or design that later proves to have a serious safety flaw in its method of construction?

Does the liability change if you are taking an income from it's promotion?

Where are the lines drawn between a Kitemark/CE marked item and a hobby construct?

I'm thinking of both mechanical and electrical safety in use.

Youtube will (read - should) have a whole host of policies on this which will take the respective territories legislation into account. Don't know how transparent it is, if at all. SteveM may be able to comment further given his experience.

I'm not sure to be honest. I watch a lot of John Heisz's videos, and I don't think I've ever seen him use a disclaimer. He builds his own tools etc.

I should really look into the legal obligations involved.

Can I ask what is the driving force for the videos?
Is it to make some money or purely to try and showcase your skills and possibly help others.

I have a business, my motivation these days is principly financial (nothin g wrong with that), but not at the cost of poor workmanship. If yours is financial try and improve the quality, have a look at collin furze he's got a sort of unique angle, bit like top gear but for nutters.

We really can't get past a few cuts without a riving knife can we?? Have you read the previous comments where I addressed this?

As for the channel, I learn a lot from youtube I thought I may as well share what I do. I will improve quality, it's early days yet and I'm still getting used to filming it all, let alone getting the proper shots :)

This seems perverse to me. It's not that difficult to add a riving knife and a blade guard. Being resistant to that just makes it look as if you are arguing about what we all know are unsafe practices, for the sheer sake of it.

Kickback is real. It comes at a point when you are struggling a bit with a big sheet or a long plank, and you get caught off guard. I use a Multico table saw mainly in my shop and it weighs a hell of a lot more than 10kg. It has commercial fences and guards, plus extraction, and I don't stand right behind the feed path or lean over the blade guard. And I've experienced kickback. Shook me right up.

Good luck with your channel. Doing things cost effectively is cool. Doing dangerous things when you could just as easily be safe, is not a great advert. Think it over. You could do a voice over and point out that if you were doing it again you would do it more safely by doing X and Y.

I agree with the others about safety, you are playing a dangerous game! listen to others on here, they know their stuff.

Scottdimelow":1mz5pr65 said:
I probably won't use a blade guard, but I'll make it known how the correct way of doing things is in Europe. And if I do something that's sketchy, I simply won't show it.
That paragraph has lost me ! So just to confirm, you probably won't use a blade guard that's in place........to guard yourself from a sharp spinning blade should an accident/trip/slip occur ? Why wouldn't you use one ? Do you think they don't look cool, or they don't look sexy or sumting ? Ha lol

I enjoyed your roof video. Got any pictures of it now ? It looks like it'll be a mahoosive campervan when it's finished !

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

There isn't a guard in place, it's a homemade table. I find the guards get in the way if using sleds etc.

I'm working on the van at the minute, that'll take most of the channel content for the foreseeable.

YouTube is a fantastic resource to show of products you have to sell but anybody who thinks that they will ever make an income from their YouTube videos alone is kidding themselves.
If that is your ambition or anybody else's ambition just forget it it won't happen.

Back