Sorry folks.. shameless Youtube channel plug ..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes you can still get hurt. In my case it was because although I thought I was doing it properly, I wasn't, I'd forgotten to check that my guard was secure. And I paid the price.
That doesn't mean it's a good idea to ignore well-established safety procedures. We may not be able to eliminate risk, because there is always the risk of human error, as in my case, but we can at least minimise it.
You are asking for trouble and don't seem to be taking on board what you are being told.All this criticism may sound harsh, but it is all justified.

As for saying that you have to twist the workpiece quite badly in order to get kickback, that is simply untrue. I don't think you have any understanding of the dangers to which you are exposing yourself.

BTW, a splitter is nowhere near as good as a proper RK. There is too much space between the back of the blade and the splitter (especially when the blade is low), in which everything can go wrong, very, very quickly. The gap between the blade and the RK should be no more than 8mm.

All these rules are there not to make things more difficult, but to keep us all safe whilst enjoying something that is creative but potentially harmful. Ignore them at your peril.

Scottdimelow":brfgzdhz said:
it's quite costly to get started

At last, something we can agree upon.

I bought my first camera in 2006. I bought the best I could afford and money was no object in those days. I bought lights, mics, software, a new computer, the works.

I also had good material. I'd been a woody journalist for over a decade and a teacher and lecturer before that, so I understood my audience and had the presentation skills necessary to do the job.

I spent 11 months filming, to get a pair of DVDs. It was OVER TWO YEARS before I got back in sales what I had spent making the darned things.

It's easier to get good video output today than it was then. By today's standards some of my early work looks very poor, especially the YT clips, as in those days there were fairly tight limits on how big a file you could upload, so some of the clips had to be pretty low resolution. Not the best advert for the DVDs, I guess.

I'm trying to start up again, I've been filming this week, actually. I have another new PC, more new software, better lighting, mic and camera. A couple of friends have helped me get going again and, of course, I am very grateful for that.

But even so, I have spent a small fortune, which I never expect to recoup, sadly.

There are some very good woody channels on YT. They are the standards to which you should aspire.

I do.

I knew a splitter wouldn't be good enough, you can't do right for doing wrong.

I'm aware of the risks involved I've been doing it long enough. With the saw I'm using it has a very narrow kerf which minimises kick-back. Plus whem I'm feeding through the body of the saw I'm making it weighs about 10kg, that wouldn't get kicked anywhere in a hurry. Especially as my fence is always set just off parallel, with the far end angled out from the blade. I do this with all my TS fences, I suppose I should explain that.

When I'm cutting the nylon stuff, I've installed a splitter on the torsion box saw. As I also mentioned, that saw was a temporary thing to make my larger saw which has better splitter/riving knife.

I think you're judging the channel from a couple of cuts and assume I'm some sort of anti-safety warrior. Which is not true.

I hope you'll watch the other videos and hopefully see the positives.

Yeah, you're not kidding Steve.

I think you have to realise it's a long game if you want any money out of it.

I remember watching your bandsaw DVD without even owning a bandsaw lol. I hope to get one at some point, so I may have to refer back.

Loving the videos as an alternative to the "money no object" kind of stuff you get from Norm and the Wood Whisperer. While others are showing us how to create a board you can kick to stop a table saw, you are showing us it can all be done by reaching across to a socket that's just hanging in free space. Don't worry about a pushstick, you can just use an old bit of floorboard that wobbles around above the work. Dust extraction? Not even a topic. Then you give us the suspense of putting your fingers a couple of inches away from an unguarded blade. Great video!!! High point of my day so far (early on a Sunday though!)

Does a push stick have to be precision cut and lovingly painted? The one I use is ply, and has a foot on the back of it, very safe.

Well done for pointing out issues raised by others, already addressed no less.

Scottdimelow":1o36rbc1 said:
I knew a splitter wouldn't be good enough, you can't do right for doing wrong.

Don't get me wrong, my original comments about safety were not aimed at your own actions, they were aimed at you sharing them, specifically on what is clearly a maker channel. There has been a huge rise in makers across the globe and this (IMO) has a net benefit to society. A lot of people though are getting their inspiration and knowledge from maker channels such as yours. What you do in your shop is your business, however when you share that practise with others you have some level of responsibility towards your audience.

I'm aware of the risks involved I've been doing it long enough.
I think you're judging the channel from a couple of cuts and assume I'm some sort of anti-safety warrior. Which is not true.

As I mentioned earlier, if you are going to employ obvious risks, then play to that making it obvious in your content and / or message. If you genuinely think that what you are doing is safe and you are encouraging others to do the the same then this is negligence and I would encourage you to discuss this further before posting more content. As for judging, I do hope my own comments don't come across as judgement, it is more of concern for your audience and indeed your channel's growth. It would be easier to chuckle and move on but that is not the intent here.

I'd also add that a disclaimer and / or warning needs careful thought here, don't see it as a waiver to take risk and also recognise that the disclaimer itself adds to your responsibility, it doesn't detract from it.

With the saw I'm using it has a very narrow kerf which minimises kick-back. Plus whem I'm feeding through the body of the saw I'm making it weighs about 10kg, that wouldn't get kicked anywhere in a hurry.

10kg is nothing when it comes to kick backs, I suspect (thankfully) you may not have actually experienced one to make that comment. Relying on equipment mass to reduce kickback implications is never going to end well.

I don't see anyone offering anything but advice here, I know my own could come across as terse however throwing sunshine and lollipops at the problem isn't going to make the point. This is not personal, most of us (if not all of us) don't know you. If you think this is critical, wait until the US forums and Youtube itself rips into you.

Scottdimelow":1m77j4ms said:
I can't add any more without repeating myself so I'll leave it here, you either watch or you don't.
I too give up, your actions are dangerous and a risk to others. If you don't converse at this juncture of your channels development, especially concerning the very basic element of risk then going back to your original comment;
Scottdimelow":1m77j4ms said:
Let's not let the Americans have all the youtube views
You are not helping this argument.

It doesn't need to be slick but at least recognise being safe within the agreed parameters of what is safe, not your own comfort level.

Steve Maskery":14igccjo said:
No guard, no riving knife, leaning over the blade while it is still running. And that was watching just the first few minutes of Part Deux.
This is the worst of bad practices and you should not be publicising this way of working. Others may copy you. It is only a matter of time before they, or you, get seriously hurt.
A vast amount of really excellent advice from Steve here and many, many others. I saw around 30 seconds of your table saw part 2 video which was enough to give me the screaming willies! Fwiw, that sort of practice has been outlawed in professional workshops in the UK for decades.
Ignore the advice proffered at your peril! Fortunately, the NHS for the most part provides excellent service. If you cary on like this, you may soon need it - Rob

shed9":3pjj07ft said:
Scottdimelow":3pjj07ft said:
I can't add any more without repeating myself so I'll leave it here, you either watch or you don't.
I too give up, your actions are dangerous and a risk to others. If you don't converse at this juncture of your channels development, especially concerning the very basic element of risk then going back to your original comment;
Scottdimelow":3pjj07ft said:
Let's not let the Americans have all the youtube views
You are not helping this argument.

It doesn't need to be slick but at least recognise being safe within the agreed parameters of what is safe, not your own comfort level.

Ok so maybe I'll not leave it there lol, I've already said that the saw in question was 'Temporary' which means it's no longer used. The new saw which I use has a splitter, I have inserts for different blade heights so the splitter can be closer to the blade. Also proper switch etc.

I really can't add any more, you keep bringing up the same points which have been addressed.

I couldn't find the link to the compete safety video... Is it the one named kickback?

To the OP: perhaps lean into this advice, find a way to achieve what you want *within* the boundaries of table saw safety, and by doing that you have a channel people will watch...

So many unsafe table saw channels out there. Differentiate yourself.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Ah, are you pointing at your signature Steve?
I don't see signatures on tapatalk...

But your material is A*, I do know that :)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I've only ever had serious kickback once, that was when I was ripping down a sheet of Celotex awkwardly by myself. Luckily the sheet had so little mass and soft material that I could handle it while the saw had its way with it. Although it does make you think what if it was a sheet of harder plywood, I probably would've ended up on my buttocks with a mouth full of plywood.

The other day I had a nasty shootback on the TS where I was cutting an angle around a window that needed to fit into a tapered hole, since there wasn't anyone around at the time I wasn't even attempting to recover the pieces between the blade and the fence and was letting them slip their own way out, 3 out of 4 just gently slid backward off the saw and the fourth and final one decided to pinch itself on the blade and it was thrown 10ft and went THROUGH a piece of 12mm OSB and went another 10ft after that! The piece was around 20mm x 55mm tapering to nothing from the 20mm. I for one wouldn't want to be hit by that!

Cringing at this thread.
OP wants successful youtube channel, posts up links to increase views, doesn't go to plan, gets the hump.
Repeat somewhere else.

People see others making millions with youtube and think it's easy, it's not, like most professions you have to be quite good to make decent money (or a rogue).

Some of those contraptions are ugley.................... I like nice gear.

Re: Sorry folks.. shameless Youtube channel plug ..
by sammy.se » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:07 pm
I couldn't find the link to the compete safety video... Is it the one named kickback?

Try this one -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f8VWwtaudU

Having experienced kickback on construction grade timber when using a table saw I can assure you that it is not something you want to encounter even once.

There has been some good advice offered on this thread - it's up to the OP whether he listens or not.

skelph

Back