Sorby Edge Pro sharpening system - and current views?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a pro edge and find that because it is so quick and easy to sharpen all of my tools, I tend to sharpen them much more often rather than struggle on with them blunt. I use the 120 grit belt which gives them more of a heavy polish rather than a deep grind, hence less tool steel on the floor. I have the coarser belts for reshaping when required.

Not looked into it closely but presuming the Sorby is basically a belt sander. Are there any issues with metal dust in the air? I find I am quite sensitive to metal dust when using an angle grinder so have to wear a mask but is there need for a mask with this sort of sharpener?

Beau":vddncelr said:
Are there any issues with metal dust in the air? I find I am quite sensitive to metal dust when using an angle grinder so have to wear a mask but is there need for a mask with this sort of sharpener?
It does generate some dust and the lack of effective extraction is a flaw in the SPE.
When I'm doing any major reshaping I get a vacuum nozzle near the end of belt to capture as much as possible at source, plus I have a few rare earth magnets on the base which capture quite a lot of mess too. But I also wear a powered respirator a lot of the time in the workshop now anyway.

AJB Temple":qxqogxwe said:
they must have improved the instructions as mine were professionally printed in a high quality booklet with crisp photos and proper explanations.
Between the booklet and the excellent videos on You Tube, I think the SPE has enough good instructions provided. I've only read one person complain about them.
Yes, there's less content than the tomes supplied with the Tormek, but firstly the SPE doesn't need the complex jigs to set up the tool jigs and adjust them correctly, but I also think they expect SPE owners to be more experienced and know what they want from the machine to start with.

AJB Temple":39iby5hd said:
.... By the way, they must have improved the instructions as mine were professionally printed in a high quality booklet with crisp photos and proper explanations.

I think you will find that the Booklet is little more than a reprint of the web site and catalogue listings, the in-depth explanation and charts that detail exactly how to achieve particular profiles that come with the Tormek are absent.

Having said that, as Rhossydd says, the fact that the ProEdge abrasive is Flat and not curving away from the Jig pivot removes a significant need for the angle adjustments and spacing control of the Tormek or any wheel grinder for that matter, making the need for their in depth equivalent rather mute.

I think there's little chance of the Gouge profiling Jig needing setting on anything other than it's 'as supplied' for the vast majority of folks (assuming you have the Three hole Long Grind pivot block or it's home made equivalent.)

A better explanation of the role of the Three hole Long Grind pivot block would not go amiss and Tool projection setter (Proset) relationship also could do with a phrase or two. The former removing most of the need for the latter.

Edit:- +1 for the magnets, My PE is on a crude bench hook base with back and side walls to hold it on bench and contain much of the debris, several ex scrapped computer hard disk magnets located in the housing help trap the debris. (and the side guard if not careful when removing)

Beau":ritzt9qt said:
Not looked into it closely but presuming the Sorby is basically a belt sander. Are there any issues with metal dust in the air? I find I am quite sensitive to metal dust when using an angle grinder so have to wear a mask but is there need for a mask with this sort of sharpener?
No mask for me, never felt the need.
It doesn't contain the dust but if it did there could be a fire hazard - I know this from grinding on a belt sander; the filings impact onto a small area on the casing and can start a little fire going, sometimes smouldering away long after you've stopped using it.

Jacob":g3rvpvo0 said:
No mask for me, never felt the need.
You've not read about the hazards then.
Lung disease is a particularly nasty way to die. Face masks cost very little.

Jacob":3ala3k11 said:
Beau":3ala3k11 said:
It doesn't contain the dust but if it did there could be a fire hazard - I know this from grinding on a belt sander; the filings impact onto a small area on the casing and can start a little fire going, sometimes smouldering away long after you've stopped using it.

I had that happen on my Axminster 610 belt / disk sander Jacob and it was a bit scary as I struggled to get the cover off quickly. :? Not something that's going to happen to me a second time though!

Back