Something new for a change

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
After making another set of gates I have finally got something different to make for a change.
Well actually I have got two of them to make.
mdryfitrz4.jpg

Not bad for a days work so far. :D Oh by the way it's a fire surround just in case anyone was confused. :lol:

If you don't mind me asking, how did you make the template, did you use a scroll saw, it would be good to see a couple of threads showing how this is done, it seems to me that if you want to make templates like this you need to have a bit more equipment to make it :? is it easier thean that.

Martin

No it was easy Martin. I drew out the design on a piece of scrap 9mm MDF allowing 5mm each side of the design for the router bush. I then cut out the two ends with a 2" Forstner bit in the pillar drill. Then I just used a fine blade in my jigsaw to cut out to the lines. Finally I sanded the edges smooth. Here is the result:
jtemplateforscrollsmw4.jpg

Mailee

You have been busy, working that fast will put us all to shame.

By the way nice looking surround, don't forget the final pic's.

Cheers Waka. I spent Saturday and Sunday finishing another pair of gates which I will have to fit next weekend so I will have to get this surround finished and the other one started. Busy Busy! :D Thanks for the comments by the way. :D

Well so much for rushing on with this job as I made a c*!k up! :oops: After cutting all the mouldings for the mantle and then glueing them up into a top I found that I had reached 58" wide when it needed to be 55"! oh dear. :cry: After spending this morning fitting the gates I built I returned to the workshop to 'modify' my error. By 8pm this evening I had it sorted and am back on track again I am glad to say. It did mean taking it all apart again and carefully breaking the mitre joints but it went well and is now looking good. Tomorrow should see all the mouldings fitted and about ready for finishing. :D

Back