Something exciting this way comes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stigmorgan

Established Member
Reaction score
So I'm feeling very excited after today, at a small Christmas fair held by the local scout group I met a lady who told me about a group of crafters she was part of who have leased a shop in town that opens next weekend, they dont have anyone who makes wooden things so she invited me to pop in with a few of my pieces to show the others today, they're a great bunch and offered loads of advice. End result - I have a whole table for the next 6 weeks which costs £20 per week, they take 15% commission on sales to cover costs of packaging etc so I only have to worry about making stuff, I do need to make up some info cards for items and fill out some paperwork to make it all official but I'm very excited.

That's excellent news. Yes I hope it works out for you as well.

TBH - I have been wondering for a long time since I retired from my desk job a few years ago, if I could/should make some items - eg small simple boxes/crates for local charity shops. But I have always been afraid of even going in having a chat. I am also aware of real H&S issues of anything I might suggest. I am not seeking any form of payment. - it would be a donation.

That's excellent news. Yes I hope it works out for you as well.

TBH - I have been wondering for a long time since I retired from my desk job a few years ago, if I could/should make some items - eg small simple boxes/crates for local charity shops. But I have always been afraid of even going in having a chat. I am also aware of real H&S issues of anything I might suggest. I am not seeking any form of payment. - it would be a donation.
I would make a couple and take them in as donations and ask if they would like any more - see what they think

So I'm feeling very excited after today, at a small Christmas fair held by the local scout group I met a lady who told me about a group of crafters she was part of who have leased a shop in town that opens next weekend, they dont have anyone who makes wooden things so she invited me to pop in with a few of my pieces to show the others today, they're a great bunch and offered loads of advice. End result - I have a whole table for the next 6 weeks which costs £20 per week, they take 15% commission on sales to cover costs of packaging etc so I only have to worry about making stuff, I do need to make up some info cards for items and fill out some paperwork to make it all official but I'm very excited.
Fantastic news.

I'm sure you gave plenty of stock and it's the right time of year with Christmas approaching...

That's a great opportunity 👍
Hope it all works out for you 👌👌👌👌👌
Best of luck and let us know how you get on.

Only took a few bits on Saturday, still trying to wok out pricing on some stuff and haven't even started on info cards for everything as well as an intro to my brand 🤪🤪🤪🤪

Good luck with it Stig.
i sold my burr maple waterfall table on Saturday to a very happy buyer. It can be a challenge getting your efforts both recognised and in front of the right buyers who appreciate the skills involved and true value. Has anyone on here been able to find a good outlet for custom made stuff other than Etsy etc?

Thanks guys, it's an opportunity I would be foolish to miss, although I'm already feeling the pressure and the shop doesn't open until Saturday 🤪

Display stand for the centre of the table, still need to put the "hooks" on to hang the tree decorations from, don't have time to go get proper stuff so probably gonna use 4" nails epoxied 1" deep
20231206_184413.jpg20231206_184417.jpg20231206_184422.jpg20231206_184426.jpg20231206_184436.jpg20231206_184442.jpg20231206_184451.jpg20231206_184458.jpg20231206_184543.jpg

Beautiful display! I just had a 4x2 table at a school fair. I sold all my little Christmas trees and some smaller bowls and one bigger one. It won't make me rich but it was a fun day. Hope you had a good day Stig.

Attachments

• IMG_20231209_093705692_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231209_093705692_HDR.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
Beautiful display! I just had a 4x2 table at a school fair. I sold all my little Christmas trees and some smaller bowls and one bigger one. It won't make me rich but it was a fun day. Hope you had a good day Stig.
Wow, some of those prices are really low, I'm surprised you didn't sell out, you have some very nice work.
The good thing about the shop is that I don't need to be there, the Crafters Collective who run it handle the day to day stuff and theyre open 9 to 5 Monday to Saturday and 10 to 4 on Sunday, I did spend most of today there pricing up my stuff ready to go out on display, from the back I had a really good view of my table, it seemed to get a lot of interest but only a couple of sales today, enough to cover the first weeks table cost so anything else that sells tomorrow and during the week is profit, considering the ladies have only had 2 weeks to find crafters to stock the shelves and tables they have done well and there was a good 300+ people through the door so I'd say sales will increase over the next 2 weeks as more people hear about and discover the shop.

Back