I hoped this day would never come - loosing my workshop.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giantbeat

Established Member
Reaction score
I know many on here have their own home workshops which I love seeing and reading about, but I’m a commercial renter, my landlord who is also a joiner has decided to pack in sell up and move, he’s relocating and the old workshop is in a prime spot for town center redevelopment.

so I have been given the news I have to find a new home… Built my business up from nothing for 17 years, I was very lucky in being offered my Space which allowed me to start up, I have used and grown into every nook and cranny, and whilst I have outgrown it, the idea of trying to move my machines, wood & stock is just nightmare materiel…

I have spent a utterly soul destroying 6 weeks dealing with property middlemen/chartered surveyors trying to find a new place, I seem to be in one city that has an immense shortage for workshop/light industrial space which not only drives the cost up, it allows Agents/landlords to be very picky, which makes my niche operation a hard sell. I’m getting nowhere.

They really loose interest up when I say I’m a wood worker, once we get to it’s specifically a musical drum making/restoration/repair operation they are out..

im trying to think positive about it, it could be a good thing for us, new space, potentially more room, I get to design and organise from the ground up rather than working with what I had which was never ideal.. but it’s been brutal so far.

anyone else had to relocate their commercial venture and fight like hell to find a new home?

just having a bit of a whinge to get it off my chest.

Goodness - it's that bad to have someone making drums? do they think you're going to be playing them at 3AM with a mic into a PA?

What do they want in their spaces, someone with a loom?

Goodness - it's that bad to have someone making drums? do they think you're going to be playing them at 3AM with a mic into a PA?

What do they want in their spaces, someone with a loom?

I’d like think I’m a Minimal hassle woodworking Tennant, I certainly generate a lot less mess and waste than someone making fitted furniture etc…but yes they reel in horror at the word drums… I bend wood that’s it.

I explained to one agent, the basic machinery is far noisier than the drums, not that I get time to play them.
but with 12 to 15 other people viewing the same units as me, loosing out to last mile delivery depots, boxing/gyms/fitness set up‘s is the biggest issue, everyone but wood working

we found a great site, that many people viewed it, the price went up 5k pa the following day

Last edited:
Would it be worth trying a local farm?
Rent for them, space for you and noise not a problem?
Just a thought.

noise isn’t really an issue, I’m based next to a school and houses on 3 sides now, but good transport and ease of access by thing such as tour buses is essential fir my customer base, I’d have to go out in the sticks for a farm, would not work for the business.

but in similar thinking, I have been trying to find out who owns local ex mill buildings etc to try and get contact, not as easy as I thought.

Would it be worth trying a local farm?
Rent for them, space for you and noise not a problem?
Just a thought.
About 5 years ago I rented an old farmhouse + 4 bay tin shed, 60 ft by 30 for what either would have cost on it's own.

The farm had been bought for the acreage, the house and yard were empty and deteriorating.
Suited me at the time and I considered buying it, but the farmer made enquiries and found out what it was worth, so that idea was dead.

I eventually found a house and smaller shed a few miles out of town and I'm settled down now. No rent. yehaa

Hi @giantbeat have you checked out the local councils? They often rent commercial properties. e.g. there are a few available just south of you down the A61 in Athersley and Grimethorpe from Barnsley Council.
I dont know if Wakey or Leeds councils have the same. They are often old pit buildings that have been converted to Business Centres and workshops e.g.

Check out this Business park to lease on Rightmove

You didn't state what size / price, but councils tend to be cheaper than private, and how can i say this - more stable than some private landlords / agents.

Oops - just noticed that link is for office space, but they do have workshops there and elsewhere.

There is also bizspace, again often using old pits and the land around them, e.g. Office To Let Wakefield – Workshops To Rent Wakefield | BizSpace they currently have 3 workshops, 843sq ft, 150 sqft (think this may be an office!) and 15276 sq ft in wakefield.

Last edited:
Have you tried the council you'll be surprised what they own, in Bradford anyway!

Great minds think alike.....!

I'm in a similar situation just north of Leeds. My landlord has sold the building to property developers who plan to turn our old mill into smart offices. I've been looking for new digs for 3 months now and suitable premises are very thin on the ground. I had no idea that there was such a shortage of industrial space. If I can't find something in the next few months then I have to seriously consider closing the business which would be such a shame. I am still hoping something will turn up and I very much hope you find something as well

Can’t help I’m afraid except to say I hope you find a solution. Building a business is difficult and running one whilst moving premises is tough. My brother had to move his out with his choice and it was tough, but a new bigger space has in the end worked out as a positive. Keep your chin up!

Hi @giantbeat have you checked out the local councils? They often rent commercial properties. e.g. there are a few available just south of you down the A61 in Athersley and Grimethorpe from Barnsley Council.
I dont know if Wakey or Leeds councils have the same. They are often old pit buildings that have been converted to Business Centres and workshops e.g.

Check out this Business park to lease on Rightmove

You didn't state what size / price, but councils tend to be cheaper than private, and how can i say this - more stable than some private landlords / agents.

Oops - just noticed that link is for office space, but they do have workshops there and elsewhere.
Wakefield council have almost nothing having sold off most of their property portfolio over the last 20 years, I’m in touch with them…
if I could be Barnsley based I’d have no problem getting a workshop & save money on rent.. i see what they have from my searches… South Yorkshire seems to have loads available, I can’t move that far out.

bizspace have nothing available workshop space wise , we have actually been on Alice’s (the site manager)’s list for years as it’s just down the road from my house.

I looked there when I was first setting up. Only office space or the huge warehousing ever comes up.

Last edited:
Have you tried the council you'll be surprised what they own, in Bradford anyway!

Great minds think alike.....!
Yup, almost nothing…. Bradford, Barnsley etc have an abundance of empty industrial space, Wakefield has not.

I'm in a similar situation just north of Leeds. My landlord has sold the building to property developers who plan to turn our old mill into smart offices. I've been looking for new digs for 3 months now and suitable premises are very thin on the ground. I had no idea that there was such a shortage of industrial space. If I can't find something in the next few months then I have to seriously consider closing the business which would be such a shame. I am still hoping something will turn up and I very much hope you find something as well
Ohh mate, whilst I’m glad it’s not just me I’m also very sorry to hear you have the same problem, I have met several guys from Leeds looking at wakefield sites as they can’t get anything, everyone seems say the same… South Yorkshire has loads, West Yorkshire has little as you venture up through Wakefield and north Leeds….. it’s been a horrific eye opener for me.

I've been looking for new digs for 3 months now and suitable premises are very thin on the ground. I had no idea that there was such a shortage of industrial space.

I guess theres more money in redevelopment and classy offices. Certainly the rent will be higher!

Hope u both get on ok. Large shipping containers are a bit tight, but can work.

@giantbeat , do you need a storefront as such?

I went through the same ten years ago. Greedy landlord. No where to locate to. I had to go into voluntary liquidation. The machinery was not wanted here. It all went to third world countries. UK doesn't want industry, it thinks it can get along fine with admin and offices and internet. All the people watch tube vids now and think they are skilled. HOWEVER don't despair. Go really small and wfh just like everyone else. Make loads of noise in your garden, lorries turning up every week delivering and collecting. It's great fun and you'll earn more money. I have never been happier or had more money. Be part of the home revolution .....until it all goes to rats!

many of my mates and me included had the same experience ....sorry.....
a few worked from home the rest like me took early retirement and went to live abroad...
not for everyone but for small firms/hasstle in the UK its a pain......go live in the sun...
The UK is a sh%t hole for the self employed/people working with their hands.......

noise isn’t really an issue, I’m based next to a school and houses on 3 sides now, but good transport and ease of access by thing such as tour buses is essential fir my customer base, I’d have to go out in the sticks for a farm, would not work for the business.

but in similar thinking, I have been trying to find out who owns local ex mill buildings etc to try and get contact, not as easy as I thought.
Try the land registry I think they can still tell you who owns a building.

May be a little too far from you, but I am in a space in Leeds 13 and I know units come up from time to time. They are old mill buildings and units are of varying sizes - mine is just 30 square meters but larger ones as well. Landlord is Gaunts if you are interested

Back