Somebody stop me.... Imminent Festool purchase

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put a DPC collector on the back of my cross cut, improved the dust extraction beyond expectations.

DSC01419.jpeg

I put a DPC collector on the back of my cross cut, improved the dust extraction beyond expectations.

View attachment 143039
Please tell me more about this! I have a cheap ish Dewalt DWS774. I can't justify spending any more, but the dust collection is truly awful - Id be really interested in anyhting that can improve it.

Please tell me more about this! I have a cheap ish Dewalt DWS774. I can't justify spending any more, but the dust collection is truly awful - Id be really interested in anything that can improve it.
You can make an enclosure around your saw, if its in an area that affords a bit of space. I initially made one out of a box, placed a hole at the back about in line of the blade connected to an extractor, then closed off all the openings around the machine so less dust was reflected back. It wasnt perfect but it stopped dust being thrown out and up.

This is just one example, if you take a look(Mitre saw enclosure) theres a host of differing designs, one of which might suit better.

You can make an enclosure around your saw, if its in an area that affords a bit of space. I initially made one out of a box, placed a hole at the back about in line of the blade connected to an extractor, then closed off all the openings around the machine so less dust was reflected back. It wasnt perfect but it stopped dust being thrown out and up.

This is just one example, if you take a look(Mitre saw enclosure) theres a host of differing designs, one of which might suit better.

I am so limited by space in my tiny shed workshop that I couldnt fit one of these sadly!

View attachment 143039
Most cross cut saws have a small rudimentary dust guard in the same place, I took mine off to make a template for the fixing and just extended it downwards, fitted it to gauge the drop I could accommodate with the saw at the bottom of its travel, cut it level with the base and hot glued another piece of DPC onto the bottom, with my vacuum connected it worked very well.

Most cross cut saws have a small rudimentary dust guard in the same place, I took mine off to make a template for the fixing and just extended it downwards, fitted it to gauge the drop I could accommodate with the saw at the bottom of its travel, cut it level with the base and hot glued another piece of DPC onto the bottom, with my vacuum connected it worked very well.
I will have a try to retrofit something to mine. I had just resolved myself to the idea that the dust collection was going to be terrible unless i bought a KS60.

I really really cannot justify a KS60... but i am always put off using my chop saw and use another tool often when I should use it just because I don't want all the clearing up that comes with it. I should put some effort into improving it...

Well, it’s a Festool, or should I say TTS Tooltechnic Systems; who on earth would want to buy anything from them?
TTS are also behind Narex the Czech company probably most notable initially for their cost effective chisels…..well until they were bought out.

I am so limited by space in my tiny shed workshop that I couldnt fit one of these sadly!
Cut a hole in the side of the shed. Two problems solved. More space and better extraction ;)

I really really cannot justify a KS60... but i am always put off using my chop saw and use another tool often when I should use it just because I don't want all the clearing up that comes with it.

Pretty much the same here. Im really trying to justify such an outlay, but for the sake of health i should put those concerns aside, buy it and in a couple of years I'll not miss the funds. And also I too avoid using the mitre saw i have because of the mess it makes. I went the route of using a bandsaw(or handsaw) to give the approximate cut, then bought a mitre trimmer to go right up to the line.
The mitre trimmer is especially good in that its pretty much silent(only the noise of the bandsaw) so im not annoying the neighbours and can also work late into the evening.

Last edited:
I like the Bosch saws, still using the older sliding one but that newer GCM12 is really good and needs less space behind it.

Now the big box stores are selling the blue Bosch professional tools along with the green consumer tools. Sometimes I see a GCM12 on display.

Update: I was in the local Bauhaus (similar to B&Q) this afternoon and there were five GCM 12 saws and three GCM 8 saws stacked up for sale. The GCM 12 was €749 and the GCM 8 was €389. Surprisingly, there were also a herd of Scheppach HMS850 and HMS860 P/Ts stacked along one wall (I think five of each, but I didn't check on the price). Those were not in the store last week and this is the first time I have seen a German hardware store have a P/T on display. Maybe times are changing here.

Admit I had to look them up to see how they needed less space behind them, the GCM12 and GCM8 need just as much space as most cross cut saws, its the next three letters that count, SDE I assume stands for slide i.e. rail out the back, GDL after I assume stands for folding perhaps @MikeK can elaborate.

The GCM 12 GDL has the hinged arms, while the GCM 12 SDE has the straight sliding arms, similar to the DWS780.

The variations between the GCM 8 models appear to be more than cosmetic, but all have the straight sliding arms. The SJ has a 1250W motor, the SJL has a 1400W motor and LASER, and the SDE has a 1600W motor with variable speed. Both the SJ and SJL tilt only to the left while the SDE tilts 47-degrees left and right.

Thanks for that Mike, but I was really thinking what GDL stood for? 🤔 as in: Schwenkbare Armeinheit

Last edited:
I would have thought there was a very big market for the folding arm mitre saw in a smaller blade size for hobby use, or is there one out there I'v missed?

If the DW700 met your needs, then you will like the KS 60, if for nothing more than the dust collection. I replaced a DeWalt DWS780 with the Kapex 120 and there is no comparison to the dust collection. The only thing I miss on the DWS780 is the LED that creates a shadow line for the blade cutting lines. Festool offers a user-installed LED module for the KS 60 if the saw you buy doesn't already have it.

What are you using for dust extraction on yours Mike? I have a KS60. Among the many reasons for getting it was the supposed better dust extraction. With the 27mm Festool hose on a CTL MIDI I've been really underwhelmed by the extraction. Using a 36mm hose improves the situation but it still isn't amazing.

I had planned to build one of those boxes around it, but I'm convinced most of the escaped dust travels around 45 degrees up and to the side, which would just bounce of the front of any shroud.

Just paroozing Ebay - I know, late in the evening its always the start of it...
This, that.. oh look a Kapex KS60

Should I, shouldn't I

I've an ancient dewalt DW700, a VVG blade in it- Trend industrial 80t, but it kicks so much dust everywhere and its not comfy in a safe way when using it. Feels scary sometimes and im used to big horrifyingly scary RAS's, but this is just old, and well you know... just feels old in use.

Now a shiny new Kapex :D
So did you do it?

Other than some experimenting with dust extraction it has been amazing, although I did manage to cut a section off the adjustable fence doing an angled cut!

Back