Somebody stop me.... Imminent Festool purchase

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a bit of a shock at the price of the UG stand for the KS 60, it's around £700 which is more than the actual saw
Blimey that's serious £££, my 120 sits on a Dewalt stand, usually in the van but takes no time to set it up on site or in the shop:

saw on stand.jpg

Blimey that's serious £££, my 120 sits on a Dewalt stand, usually in the van but takes no time to set it up on site or in the shop:

View attachment 142968

I had the exact same set up as you for a while but ended up getting the proper Festool UG stand, that was about 8 years ago and it cost about £300 which seemed expensive at the time, it is nice but not £700 nice!

One of the main reasons for choosing the kapex over maybe a 12" Bosch etc is the dust extraction. Because the workshop is in the house i dont fancy spreading dust about the house and breathing it in daily. Hence me finally getting a big extractor.
Accuracy wise, ease of use despite the funny vertical handle, which is the same as my dw700(other dewallts are horizontal), and it makes it feel cumbersome to use. I'd much prefer a horizontal handle like on the bosch, but i think all the features Festool offer more than makes up for any downsides.

Part of it is down to what we were seeing as students. Festool were the epitome of furniture makers craft, almost a sign of you're a professional.

I’ve used both the dws780 and the kapex. In my opinion buy the dws. I have two now One permanent in shop and one goes to job sites. It works better and won’t get stolen at lunch! However I do own a festool battery track saw, but am kicking myself for not getting the corded one. The batteries only last for about 25 feet of cutting in 1 1/2 inch thick fir. Then you wait 2 hours to charge both batteries. So now I either buy another charger and two batteries or the corded tool only saw.

I do own a festool battery track saw, but am kicking myself for not getting the corded one
That is why I use nearly all 110 volt corded tools, I can outlast a battery but with corded it is me who goes flat first. Is that Festool not underpowered compared to the competion and maybe why when cutting heavier material the batteries don't last.

Dust extraction is difficult on Miter saws but should be as good as possible. I've no experience with the Kapex but my Milwaukee is hooked up to a vacuum and It still throws dust everywhere. Next time around I'll probably build an enclosed hood to catch everything. There is an American product - the 'Rousseau tent ' but it's about £250 online if you can find it. Miter saws consume more space than you might think. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
That is why I use nearly all 110 volt corded tools, I can outlast a battery but with corded it is me who goes flat first. Is that Festool not underpowered compared to the competion and maybe why when cutting heavier material the batteries don't last.
I don’t know. Only battery track saw I’ve used. Boss raved about his, but now I know why. He hardly used it.

Yes cannot agree more, they are experts at making dust. With real wood it is managable but MDF is another story and no mater what I do the dust gets everywhere so prefer using ply to MDF.
Just for fun, if you have a scrap piece of Padouk make a few cuts on the miter saw. The bright red dust shows up just how far these things throw sawdust. :rolleyes: Ideally miter saw stations ( as the Yanks call them ) should be freestanding so you can clean up all around them.

DON’T DO IT. Buy a dewalt and you will have enough money left over for blades for life. And the laser is actually usable!

If you can afford it buy what what you want while you are alive.
If you want the best solution buy a used Dewalt 125 powershop radial arm saw and build it into a bench, once setup properly it will be the most accurate saw you could want and takes up very little space.

I dont have a need for a 12" cross cutter, the ks60 is more than capable for my needs and its £150 cheaper than the dewalt
I don’t understand. The ks60 is a 12” cross cutter and in Canada is $1,100 And a dewalt chop saw is north of $ 500 on sale. Am I missing something here. Are they reversed in Britain? Here is one not on sale that’s 428 £. Or $649 Canadian here in Canada.

Attachments

• EFD35794-268F-4FBC-A2DF-92E6F92503ED.png
    EFD35794-268F-4FBC-A2DF-92E6F92503ED.png
    879.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I don’t understand. The ks60 is a 12” cross cutter and in Canada is $1,100 And a dewalt chop saw is north of $ 500 on sale. Am I missing something here. Are they reversed in Britain? Here is one not on sale that’s 428 £. Or $649 Canadian here in Canada.
The KS 60 has a 216mm diameter blade, which is about 8.5 inches. The larger saw, the KS 120, has a 260mm diameter blade, which is about 10.2 inches. Festool does not offer a miter saw with a 12-inch blade.

The KS 60 has a 216mm diameter blade, which is about 8.5 inches. The larger saw, the KS 120, has a 260mm diameter blade, which is about 10.2 inches. Festool does not offer a miter saw with a 12-inch blade.
I realize that , but they will both cut a 12 inch wide board The ks60 must have a longer slide. The dewalt will just cut a thicker board with the larger blade.

I realize that , but they will both cut a 12 inch wide board The ks60 must have a longer slide. The dewalt will just cut a thicker board with the larger blade.
I now understand what you were writing. However, if you read post #23, he will be using the saw in his house, so dust collection is important. While no miter saw is dust free, the Kapex saws are much better at dust collection than the DWS780.

I owned the DWS780 before I bought the KS 120, and there is no comparison with regards to the dust collection. Whenever I use any of the tools in my shop, I monitor the dust with a Dylos air quality meter. With the DWS780, I had to take a 30-40 minute break every ten minutes to let the air filter clean up the fine dust. With the KS 120, I can cut without a break.

If all of my cutting on the miter saw was outside or in my garage, I would have kept the DWS780. As soon as I moved my shop in the house, I had to be careful about the dust.

I wasnt referring to the cross cut width capacity, i was referring to the blade size. I dont need that great a depth of cut.
Plus the Dewalt is a heavier machine, it weighs 25kg to the Festool 17kg and the festool is a smaller sized machine overall. Extraction on the Festool is best for me
You see, im in a really small workshop, so its not going to live on a mitre station, more like a shelf to be used if and when.

Ok that makes sense. I have never monitored the excesse dust from a Kapex. Only ever used the dewalt extensively and not in a house!

Lots of parts to the equation. Small,light and easy to store, excellent extraction, loads of great features and I can get it for £588.(ebay offer, if bought before Wednesday afternoon)

If it was cross cut capacity and big depth of cut I'd look for a second hand RAS or something like that, but for the home workshop i think it gives be the best across the board.

Back