Solid Wood Furniture

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NazNomad

Established Member
Reaction score
I was nosing around a local shop that sells ''solid wood'' furniture and while the chap was occupied, I snapped a pic of the ends of a pile of 4'' x 4'' table legs.

table_legs.jpg

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Would this happen to be the same shop who were hauled over the coals by the advertising standards agency for claiming “there’s not veneer here”.

is he claiming it's "solid oak" or just "solid wood"? I'd be interested if anyone has ever challenged the phrase "solid wood" with trading standards?

Hello,

MDF is wood bits (very small, granted) glued together and then, perhaps veneered. Anything can be called solid wood if you are going to stretch the definition.

But then I suppose furniture made in workshops where everything is done with 4 siders, Brookman machines, hydraulic presses, wood welders, and spindles, panel saws set on programmable DRO's, painted with HVLP spray, claiming to be hand made, then I suppose you can't complain.

Mike.

woodbrains":1b8l5cxg said:
Hello,

MDF is wood bits (very small, granted) glued together and then, perhaps veneered. Anything can be called solid wood if you are going to stretch the definition.

But then I suppose furniture made in workshops where everything is done with 4 siders, Brookman machines, hydraulic presses, wood welders, and spindles, panel saws set on programmable DRO's, painted with HVLP spray, claiming to be hand made, then I suppose you can't complain.

Mike.

I've often wondered about this. Even an off the shelf B&Q kitchen would've been made with machinery operated by people with hands... Does that make it hand made?

I thought the same in Lidl recently... Hand Cooked Crisps.

I mean, how hot can your hands really be?

woodbrains":3dtodjp1 said:

Mike.

Its an undefinable line. Can you use drivers or does it have to be yankees? Who knows................ people need to view work and just decide whether its quality or not, usually very simple to tell. Hand made means nothing in terms of quality.

can't argue with it being wrong on a descriptive level, but on a functional level, is that not more resilient than solid 4" timber? surely it's a lot less likely to warp.

at what point does veneer become cladding? lol

I guess the thing to take issue with is the inference. It's a grey area for sure. When I see worktops advertised as 'solid' when it's made up of what looks like offcuts, I can feel my blood pressure rising. To see a leg or rail made in the same way is taking the mick imo.

I made a dining table using newel posts as legs, they are laminated poplar clad with 4mm oak so nice and stable and it looks alright.

Pete

Unless the glue used is poor quality, what's the problem ?
Maybe it would be nice, if you knew how these pieces were laminated together though, as in a
staggered fashion, like with block work ...
If someone markets this correctly this could become more popular .....
like with caterpillar boots (do they still give you that little booklet?)

Maybe you could have some sort of premium amount for solid stock ... and give two prices.
Would you be annoyed if those legs were, two pieces laminated together , or four ?
Two pieces laminated with veneer on the outside ?

I think one could put the extra little bit of effort in, and cap the ends with the same veneer ..
But then again, you would have to figure out which "line" of furniture the solid stock was . :?

I'm thinking hide glue would be the most suitable of glues for this application ...
What do you think ?
T

Ttrees":28z9xku7 said:
I'm thinking hide glue would be the most suitable of glues for this application ... What do you think ?

I reckon it's more likely to be cat glue. :?

Back