Solid Oak Doors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Mann

Reaction score
I thought you all might like to see what I have been up to recently, these are European solid oak front doors on my property, traditionally made wedged mortice and tenon. When setting out these doors I used the formula using the golden rule, which was googled and found to be very useful.
I used laminated oak for the styles, head middle and bottom rails. The panels were machined as a solid T&G, glued together to form separate panels, and set in a rebate, packed to position with caulk packers to allow for expansion. The applied mouldings to the external face were because I wanted to achieve a Victorian look. My wife made the stained glass transom window - he dictated 'her indoors' but as the said wife is typing she is called 'my wife'!

The picture of the pair of internal carved oak doors, this work was carried out with a router and hand carved in chisels. The carving is applied to both facings of the door and just the carving took approx one week! The glass panes are separate and are slid in from the top of the door, the top rail being split into two sections. The panels to the lower section of the doors are two pieces of oak veneered plywood, glued back to back so that the veneer is shown of both faces of the door. The doors are rebated and the door furniture has not as yet been chosen or fitted. Normally I would have put a larger bottom rail in these doors, but it is slightly undersized as it was machined to match an already existing pair of doors that had been made to fit another opening. Incidentally once again, the transom over the doors was designed, and created by her indoors. I have photos of a mezzanine floor level incorporating lots of finished joinery which I will try to post which hopefully you may be interested in?

Attachments

• DSCF0839.JPG
    DSCF0839.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 1,372
  • DSCF0838.JPG
    DSCF0838.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 1,372
  • DSCF0840.JPG
    DSCF0840.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 1,372
  • DSCF0833.JPG
    DSCF0833.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 1,372
  • DSCF0836.JPG
    DSCF0836.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 1,372
  • DSCF0834.JPG
    DSCF0834.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 1,372
  • DSCF0835.JPG
    DSCF0835.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 1,372
Without trying to sound like a parrot echoing what others have said but that really is Beautiful!

Very stylish!
Yes, let's see more and also any wip pics of the carving.

Thank you for the complimentary comments, it is work in progress, a Grade 2 listed chapel, that My wife and I are slowly doing up ourselves.
just found an updated picture of the internal double doors from the inside of the room, now fitted with the architrave and skirting blocks added around the frame and transom. As the scale of the building and doors are not off the peg, everything is bespoke made by ourselves.
The carving was made in two sections, one to each side of the door and are glued in place on 6mm ply vertical strips, which form a 6mm gap through the top rail of the door and down through the carving and vertical beads, so that three pieces of quarter inch plate glass could be slid in place through the top, with a 6mm square bead placed in the top rail after glazing to prevent the glass sliding back out as the doors were turned. In order to prevent the glazing from rattling in the grooves, glazing felt tape was applied to each of the glass panels before fitting. I made a temporary pattern for the gothic arches using 6mm perspex and using a bearing guided router bit could rough out the approx shape of the arch sections, before finishing these with a carving gauge. The triangular shape carvings were just completely hand carved.

Thankfully when I took my apprenticeship many years ago as a joiner it was with a high class joinery company, and in the days when all construction and finishing off was carried out on the bench with hand tools, this was obviously at a time when hardwoods were the normal thing to work with, to the rear of the joinery machine shop was it was so huge it had it's own kilns and timber stores, with timber from around the world and railway line, one of the first jobs as an apprentice was to make a timber block that would match the shape of the hardwood mouldings that had come in from the machine shop, so that you could wrap glass paper around your made block and sand the mouldings thoroughly to remove any rough grain etc, also scrape as necessary with scrapers so that they could go into the french polishing shop - you could be doing this for a week! and if you got it wrong any defective mouldings would come back onto your bench and you would have to sand the french polish off before you could correct any of your mistakes. A steep learning curve but lessons never forgotten!

Attachments

• study internal doors architrave.jpg
    study internal doors architrave.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 1,205
Beautiful work John and the misses has done a great job with the lead lights , you make a good team :D . Working on a listed chapel myself this week fitting a double storey wardrobe 3.2 m tall :shock:

Cheers Bern :D

Berncarpenter":29dvht58 said:
Working on a listed chapel myself this week fitting a double storey wardrobe 3.2 m tall :shock:

The lengths some people go to keep the Christmas presents hidden... :D

Back