Soldering

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WonderWoman

Established Member
Reaction score
Probably the wrong forum to try but anybody do any soldering?

Im looking for brass/chrome soldering ribbon,any ideas?

Soldering is normally done using something like lead or tin - which melt at a fairly low temperature (I vaguely remember it is around 188 degrees C with the soldering iron temperature about double that). Brass requires much more heat and the use of a (gas) brazing torch, at around 450 degrees C. Dunno about chrome, although I've used nickel rods for brazing cast iron in the past (similar appearance to chrome) - anyone in the know? Didn't think you could braze chromium.

BTW if my temperatures are wrong, I apologise, they are from hazy recollections of more than 30 years ago when I was taught, however I've just finished doing some copper pipework this morning (Yorkshire fittings, so solder with a brazing torch) so at least I know HOW to do it if not bthe absolute physics :lol:

I think the question has to be, what are you trying to join?

Scrit

Dont know what they are called but a picture is put between 2 microscope glass slides then metal is put round it to make it into a pendant.

I have a soldering thingy and did a bit in college.
I think Id prefer chrome colour but Ij ust wondered if brass was available as the flux is always chrome colour may look odd on brass.

Sounds more like the lead or pewter that is used in decorative leaded glass. Polished pewter is bright silver (like chromium, but not as glossy), but having a high lead content it will solder readily and cuts fairly easily. Have you tried looking bat any of the stained glass forums like Stained Glass Town Square (http://stainedglasstownsquare.com/) or the Creative Glass Guild?

Scrit

My sister does stained glass. She uses a copper foil ribbon for making similar to what you describe. She makes small painted glass panes for bespoke Christmas cards.

Stained Glass supplier should stock such items - copper/black finish and copper/silver finish also available.
Try here

How cool ,they do little 5x5cm pieces of cool glass types.

I contacted a couple of places for about 12 little squares of perspex, they both cam back with a charge of around £40!!

I contacted a couple of places for about 12 little squares of perspex, they both cam back with a charge of around £40!!

You can roughly cut out perspex with a saw and then file the edges square, it would be a lot cheaper.

Yep thanks

I found a hobby site that sells small a4 sheets of perspex for a couple of quid, I just need to know how much delivery is.As I have found sometimes dlivery charges make the final total sky rocket.They havnt got back to me yet:eek:(

I could borrow a jigsaw to cut bits or I have a hand saw.

I could borrow a jigsaw to cut bits or I have a hand saw.

Make sure the jigsaw has variable speed and cut at a slow speed. Aldi had a variable speed jigsaw (last week I think, might have some left) has variable speed,well made and very good value for £20.

WW

Another potential source of Perspex (acrylic) offcuts is the local sign maker. They may have some coloured offcuts to cadge for free, probably mainly in opaque colours, but you never know

Scrit

wonder woman if you go in your costume you will get it for free :wink: :wink: :D
frank

I used to have on but gave it to a charity, love the idea of someone in another country dressed as Wonderwoman, hope it cheers them up.

Latest posts

Back