SOLD: Beech Hardwood Workbench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByronBlack

Established Member
Reaction score
As I delve more into galootishness, I'm finding I need a much larger and more suitable workbench - I'm going to be building an 8ft English 'Nicholson' bench from the wonderful Schwarz book.

This one is all solid beech - no pansy MDF here. The top has been re-drilled with a new set of bench dog holes. It comes with a quick release face vice.

The base is built using bolts so it can be knocked down and easily transported. The top is 2.5" solid laminated beech.

It is approx 2 feet wide, 4 foot long, and 35" tall.

This cost approx £400 to build with the hardware and wood, I'll accept £250 ovno.

Pictures:

(this is before I filled the original holes and drilled new ones closer to the front to allow easier use of wonder-dogs)
Image034.jpg

IMG_0196.jpg

IMG_0197.jpg

I'll upload a new picture tomorrow of the new dog holes.

Feel free to ask any questions.

** In another thread, I discussed lengthening and widening it as I was suffering some 'toppling' - but I have fixed this, it was actually my floor, I had the bench over the gaps between joists, and I was getting some spring from the floor - I've sinced moved it and it's rock solid.

There is room to add a shelf/cupboards if you want to add even more mass.

Here are some pics of the latest run of new dog holes.

I'll also revise the offer a bit. I'll include the fantstic veritas wonder-dog with the the bench, so you can use it like a tail vise with the new dog holes.

I've also included a planning stop on the end of the bench - this is a recent modification to make the bench even more versatile.

Here's a closeup of some tool holding mortises (can get chisels in there too)
1photo-1.jpg

Newly added planing stop and shot of the throat reach on the vise
1photo-2.jpg

Wonder-dog in tail-vise mode:
1photo-3.jpg

The new run of dog holes:
1photo-4.jpg

How it looks currently. The top is whiter than the base because I recently gave it the once over with the ROS to clean it up.
1photo.jpg

Anyone is welcome to come and look/use the bench if you are interested.

That has got to be a real bargain considering the rubbish for sale at twice the price!

19mm/3/4" dog holes has to be the standard now which I think will be so for some time to come. I have been surprised that hardly anybody has emulated Veritas in producing all the 3/4 " hardware.

Anybody looking for a first bench should jump at this,

Best of luck,

Mike

8)

Mike H":2s1wnrjf said:
That has got to be a real bargain considering the rubbish for sale at twice the price!

19mm/3/4" dog holes has to be the standard now which I think will be so for some time to come. I have been surprised that hardly anybody has emulated Veritas in producing all the 3/4 " hardware.

Anybody looking for a first bench should jump at this,

Best of luck,

Mike

8)

I agree, it has to be a bargain for someone who wants a well made and solid bench, especially with a wonder dog thrown in.

Cheers

Mike

I like that idea of having the slots for holding tools. Not sure I've seen that before. Looks useful.

I also agree that it's a fair price.

Hi Byron. Nice to see you've been down the beech bench route too. Good luck with the new one.

Ian, beech really is an excellent material for benches, I'm sure you will be happy with yours, if I could afford to build my next one in beech I would, but at 8ft long the costs soon become quite high.

ByronBlack":3vmad4v0 said:
Ian, beech really is an excellent material for benches, I'm sure you will be happy with yours, if I could afford to build my next one in beech I would, but at 8ft long the costs soon become quite high.

Could you afford to make just the top in beech, but keeping the frame in pine or something cheap and similar?

The under carriage of a bench is very important, and this one looks very sturdy.

In fact a lot of commercial benches have undercarriages which are inadequate. For example the very expensive Sjobegs under carriage is not up to the standard of the tops, adequate but just.

Richard Maguire, for example, as one of the best bench makers I have come across in the UK, pays great attention to this aspect.

Pine ( Red Deal, Hemlock or Douglas) can be used but I think big sections are a must.

I am surprised it has not been snapped up yet, Bank Hols maybe?

Mike

8)

Another little detail with this bench - is that the top is easily removed and re-attached. You can if you wish move the top so that the front legs are flush to the top so that you can fit a sliding deadman to work on long boards and edges. (The bolts just need counter-sinking below the surface).

Thanks for all the comments chaps, much appreciated, I'm a little surprised it hasn't had more interest, I thought I was offering it for a good price?

I'll leave it for a while longer, then I'll have to brave the muppets on ebay.

OPJ":3vtf284l said:
ByronBlack":3vtf284l said:

Could you afford to make just the top in beech, but keeping the frame in pine or something cheap and similar?

Aye, I could have done that, but part of me (the OCD part) likes the idea of it all being one species, however, I was toying with the idea of using Oak for the top, but in all likelihood to keep the costs down, I'll be using SYP for the lot - it's also a lot cheaper for the yard to PAR it for me (£10 per 4.8m board).

Hi All,
Seeing this has prompted me to dig out the pics of my greenheart bench for those who may not have seen it first time around. Sadly its not looking quite so pristine these days! :(
MKBench15.jpg

MKBench09.jpg

MKBench11.jpg

MKBench10.jpg

MKBench17.jpg

MKBench16.jpg

Bench01.jpg

MKBench12.jpg

MKBench18.jpg

It will still be some years before it is worn out I think!
Apologies for any hijacking of BB's thread.
Cheers,
Martin[/img]

It's beautiful Martin! There was me thinking you was just a tool fiddler ? :lol:

There was me thinking you was just a tool fiddler ?
Thanks Tom!

It is a widely held opinion that I NEVER make anything, mainly promulgated by the Weymouth Branch of the woodkateers. :lol:

This does not mean that I don't know how!

Trouble is I spend so much time 'acquiring' tools and fixing them up that I don't get to the tuits very often.

There may be one or two surprises coming from the final fruition of long term tool making projects that might make a few people take it all back..... 8) :) :)
Cheers,
Martin

I made a bench in Bubinga on a Sapele undercarriage last Autumn. I sourced 2 Jorgensen Vices from the States to fit, not been disappointed. I decided on 2 rows of dogs holes along the front and a double row opposite the main vice.

Plenty of Veritas kit on it really makes a bench sing, I was fitting a tricky centre runner drawer today, was mightily glad I could hold the work in all sorts of ways to skim it off for a good fit. Done!

I have some pictures of the bench if anyone is interested, will have to be e-mailed as I am not into pics on this forum yet.

That was my fourth and last. First one old style with an apron,well and slot for tools, parana pine on deal made in early 60s. Next two beech ones bagged by my sons and on retiring I sold or gave away just about every tool and started again as a retirement project.

The new workshop is now fully equipped and I am back in production at last!

Cheers

Mike

8)

PS: I wonder if that brilliant bench made from West Bay timber smells of whiting. I have caught many of these blighters off West Bay in the past! What a cracking nice place, one of our favourite haunts, on the way to Axminster of course!

I see.. the essex equivalent would probably be 'pukka' :)

Shame no one wants it though.

As the last throw of my dice, I'll drop the price to £225, if no takers, it'll go to the vultures on ebay.

Back