SOLD: Beech Hardwood Workbench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd have to say i'm in a similar camp on stiffness (deadness or impact absorbtion too) and weight Rob - both of these are in my thinking too critical deliverables for any bench.

That said the ideal bench is presumably not just a simple waist high rectangular wooden cube (whatever that's called) filled with concrete and keyed to the floor. Or maybe it actually is :shock: - 'many a true word spoken in jest'

:D How's about a mail order IKEA like flat pack bench kit finished in self adhesive beech film? Assemble in your shop with only a screwdriver, and fill with quick drying concrete. Ready for use in only 24hrs? (no! you can't fill it with rocks to save on the concrete...)

More seriously. The split top idea has got me thinking as it adds a little to the mix. The problem as ever though is that if we slip into tunnel vision on any one aspect of functionality we risk losing sight of others - and it seems to me that to strike the right balance is the key.

Maybe a split top can be achieved without unduly compromising especially weight and stiffness, or maybe it can't. This to me is the big question that's still open.

As a more or less Roubo like solid top with only a narrow slit down the centre that US bench looks like a decent attempt at achieving this - especially if you can clamp the halves together. The loss there is possibly the need for some sort of supporting under frame, and whatever that might give away in overall stiffness...

ByronBlack":3dsixq14 said:
Olly,

Here's a quick sketchup image I knocked up, hopefully it makes sense.

There is a rectangular piece on the back of the bench (the bit facing you in the image) that is attached to pieces which affix to the sides of the bench with grooves cut out that will ride up and down a bolt to lower or raise the rectangular section on the back of the bench, thus preventing stuff from falling off the back.

Byron,

My bench is right against the wall, and there it stays. So I don't have this 'rolling tools' problem; not at the back at least! However, that's how I would tackle it, or use your other solution of a 'catch-well' at the back.

John :)

Pardon me if it amounts to heresy, but a semi circular groove routed along the length of the bench top surface just a bit in from the back edge might be an option too...

Colin, thanks for clearing that up with the drawing. :)

I should add that while my bench sits back against a "wall" there is a pillar (approx. 18in wide x 5in deep) in front of this. If I put my bench to the right of the pillar, it would be too close to the end wall. To the left, and it would push my large bandsaw too close to the up and over door... :x So, there should be a good 4-5in for me to get my hands behind there, if I need to raise or lower a back stop.

I like the idea in your sketch but, it wouldn't work for me as I have two vices mounted on one end of the bench. So, I think I'll basically be replicating your planing end stop. Perhaps breaking it down in to two lengths.

Ian, I also like your idea of routing a groove or cove. That might work for chisels and screwdrivers but, I have a habit of pushing anything over the back of my bench...! :oops: :wink:

At some point, I'll get around to trying Colin's first idea (congratulations on selling the bench, also :)).

Latest posts

Back