Sodium hypochlorite

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilipL

Established Member
Reaction score
In NI where I lived till recently every builders' yard sold 20l containers of sodium hypochlorite. It is used for cleaning paving etc. when mixed with water. A very cheap and effective "solution".

I am now in Edinburgh and none of the builders supplies I have called have even heard of it. Any idea where I can get my hands on it?

Philip

Called up a couple of places who do cleaning supplies and they have never heard of the stuff. Very odd - it is so easy to get across the Irish Sea.

Ps: it is used in swimming pools but can't find a supplier for them.

Last edited:
It is used for cleaning paving etc. when mixed with water..

Ring some of the local patio cleaning/jetwashing companies and ask from where they buy it. Make up a plausible story beforehand.

Is sodium hypochlorite not just bleach without the perfume, instead of builders look for cleaning material suppliers.
Just so! Commercial bleach is a solution of sodium hypochlorite (usually about 3 to 5% by weight) plus detergents so it reaches the parts that... well you get the idea, and gelling agents so it sticks to those parts and a bit of perfume so it doesn't just smell of chlorine.

What I know is that sodium hypochlorite added to a pail of water and washed onto a surface works. Putting normal bleach on paving slabs doesn't.

A neighbour recommended a product called wet and forget.

He reckons it does the same job but slower and without the damage and pollution.

I worked for a Scottish Chemical company in Manchester......
U could just wonder in and buy a 5 gallon drum of it...
so look at chemical suppliers wholesale.....cheap as chips....or was....

Edinburgh is not a great place to get materials. Belfast, where I lived, was much better for all kinds of things. Edinburgh just doesn't have a history of engineering or agriculture. Easier to buy a good violin or cello here than a tool.

On alternatives, I think most of these are based on 'chlorus' as a friend calls sodium hypochlorite. But much more expensive. Like boat cleaners based on oxalic acid - using a cheap base in an expensive product to do the same thing.

In NI where I lived till recently every builders' yard sold 20l containers of sodium hypochlorite. It is used for cleaning paving etc. when mixed with water. A very cheap and effective "solution".

I am now in Edinburgh and none of the builders supplies I have called have even heard of it. Any idea where I can get my hands on it?

Philip
Janitorial or chemical suppliers in your area would be a search idea

What I know is that sodium hypochlorite added to a pail of water and washed onto a surface works. Putting normal bleach on paving slabs doesn't.
What is the concentration of sodium hypochlorite in the product you use?

Widely available in Cumbria at farmer’s supply stores- used for cleaning dairy milking parlours.

Try 'milk stone cleaner'. It is the same stuff, near enough. I understand your point about 'Norn Iron' vs Edinburgh. My daughter lives there and the supplies available in even big 'yards' is totally different from 'oor wee place'. There is a fairly good B&Q just off the ring road. Try their online search function to see if "Patio cleaner" is available with them.

Philip
Hi haven’t read all the posts but you will get it at a farm supply depot, widely use in the industry

Latest posts

Back