So much for discouraging incandescent light bulbs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RogerS":3omq353t said:
You should pop on over to the EU thread with that one as it was they who banned incandescents :wink: :D
Oh dear, - if they're 'banned' why can I still buy them in my local hardware shop?!

woodfarmer":1t6dr287 said:
I dislike intensely these modern high deficiency lights. Although since their inception I can now move much quicker, in fact faster than light. When I was young i would pull the light switch in the bathroom and before I could move the room would be illuminated. Now I can pull the switch, perform the necessary and be washing my hands before the gloom begins to diminish. Going back to my youth I wonder if I would be better off using a candle.

It will be interesting to see them being used for "flash" photography. No doubt the camera man will hold the lens cover and start counting.

I think you're living a decade or so behind the rest of us? The slow glow energy saving nonsense of the past is long gone, it's all LED now, instant light, even less energy use than the ones you hate and much more attractive.

For example, if you wanted the brightest lights possible on a high end car, it's not xenons any more, it's LED technology.

I bought a magnetic LED work lamp for use on my lathe and the light quality is pants compared to the halogen lamp on my milling machine.

Since this thread began I've tried out a few LED lamps, with patchy results. Some didn't even fit the holder. Some buzzed annoyingly loudly in operation. I tried to return somec of the buzzing ones, and was refunded but told to throw them in the bin. Very eco. A few (maybe a third of the ones I've bought) have been good, far better than CFLs, bright light with quite acceptable colour.

The problem is finding lamps of a quality you can be sure of. As well as the cheap Chinese imports, there are cheap rubbish rebadged by seemingly reputable names. And fake copies. Some of which tend to catch fire. Almost as dodgy to source as replacement mobile phone batteries !

woodfarmer":2h4cqxha said:
I dislike intensely these modern high deficiency lights. Although since their inception I can now move much quicker, in fact faster than light. When I was young i would pull the light switch in the bathroom and before I could move the room would be illuminated. Now I can pull the switch, perform the necessary and be washing my hands before the gloom begins to diminish.

I thought you were joking, but your faster than light travelling has enabled you post the same message in the same thread nearly 2 years apart. I think you need to get in touch with professor Hawking immediately.

(hammer)

Sheffield Tony":1cnxn3k3 said:
Since this thread began I've tried out a few LED lamps, with patchy results. Some didn't even fit the holder. Some buzzed annoyingly loudly in operation. I tried to return somec of the buzzing ones, and was refunded but told to throw them in the bin. Very eco. A few (maybe a third of the ones I've bought) have been good, far better than CFLs, bright light with quite acceptable colour.

The problem is finding lamps of a quality you can be sure of. As well as the cheap Chinese imports, there are cheap rubbish rebadged by seemingly reputable names. And fake copies. Some of which tend to catch fire. Almost as dodgy to source as replacement mobile phone batteries !

I pretty much only use Led Hut, get reasonable trade prices there, they don't quibble about failures. Haven't experienced any of the problems you have.

Had to get hold of some gu10 lamps for a job away from home, bought a pack of 5 from toolstation, 1 failed immediately, rubbish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Around the time this thread started I made the decision to replace every single light in my house with LEDs. Partley because I am tight, Mostly because I hate CFL's with a passion. I despise any light that has a warm up time.

I started out with the Muller lights (not to be confused with the yogurht) from Aldi and was immediately impressed. They matched the CFL's for brightness, more than halved the energy consumption and the colour of the light to me was indistinguishable from the old incandescent bulbs. I now use the bulbs sold in packs of 3 from Costco too and they match performance.

Now I only have 1 single non LED light in my house (excluding 2 temporary lights I am using) Which is my upstaires fish tank. I have an LED unit waiting to go in but need a new hood to mount it too.

I love the instant light and have seen a significant improvement on my electricity bill. Almost 25% lower and have only had 1 bulb fail. This being a light I leave on almost 24/7 in the winter and uses only 5w.

I've changed everything to LED now - including an external floodlight - very large saving on bills (about 20%).

The LEDs I'm most proud of are the ones in our fridges - they save money twice, by not wasting power as heat, and by not forcing the fridge to use even more power to pump out that heat!

Added bonus - not having to get ladders out to change halogens in awkward places every few months.

Cheers, W2S

After reading this thread very recently, and seeing the 'it's lamp not bulb' thread, I noticed last week that Wickes call them bulbs - they had sale signs for them plastered all over the till area.

Latest posts

Back