Light bulb advice.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misterfish

Established Member
Reaction score
I have recently acquired an American 'WALK/DONT WALK' pedestrian traffic light for decoration in my 'games' area. This has a motorised cam switch that turns each light on and off for 30 seconds. (I know - I'm just a big kid and should grow up!)

Anyway - I'd like to use low energy light bulbs but don't think this is practical as I don't think they will get warmed up and also I've heard that constant switching on and off causes them to fail quickly. The 'thing' will be only run occasionally when I go and play with my fruit machines (Japanese pachislot machines). Nearly all our lamps in the house are already low energy CFL.

Has anybody any suggestions - the bulbs are standard 60w ES fitting. I was wondering if LED technology had progressed enough to make general purpose replacement lamps available or are they still only suitable for mood/accent lighting. (Or should I just buy a pack of rough duty lamps to keep me going for a number of years.

Misterfish

I think you need to have a look in a thread here referring to wiring LEDs and a forum called BongoFish

Someone please explain where that name came from?

Low energy bulbs light instantly at 90% output 100% after a few seconds phillips good, ikea cheapest & morrisons have cheap offers .

Thanks for the suggestions (so far). We are actually planning to visit the new Ikea at Southampton tomorrow (to stock up on mini dime bars amongst other things). I'll grab some of the lamps and have a 'play'.

I see that Philips have some new Master LED lamps - 7w (equiv to a 40w incandescent) with a life of 45,000 hours. Only problem is over £30 + vat for each.

Misterfish

Have a look in IKEA for LED bulbs. I know that had a few but I'm afraid I'd completely zoned out by the time I got to the lighting section so can't remember if the were direct bulb replacements.
The other place to look whilst in Southampton is Maplin. they do quite a range of LED bulbs.

Regards

James

Grinding One":34mdyc3q said:
You could pop over to the good old U.S.A. and light finger Louie a few in use :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: =D> Nice one G.1. :D

You probably never met Light Finger Louie have you :?: How many do you need??You could send me a sample and I could send you a replacement.

Grinding One":3plcrise said:
You probably never met Light Finger Louie have you :?: How many do you need??You could send me a sample and I could send you a replacement.

Must admit I've never heard of the 'gentleman' and I can only find an oblique reference on google to pickpockettting. So please do enlighten me.

Of course, the electric systems here and in the USA are somewhat different - our standard voltage is 230v AC 50HZ whereas yours is 110v AC 60HZ. Mind you from watching This Old House and other building/renovation/DIY programs you also seem to have 220V AC available.

Fortunately the bulb holders are standard and I can get suitable 230v ES bulbs. I actually picked up a couple of low energy 11W cfl lamps yesterday in Ikea and will see how they hold up.

Misterfish

Oh ok,But I thought you said it was an American sign?? So I thought you had the little transformer to plug into to get the 110 volt light bulb.
And yes Light Fingered Louie was a pick pocket Gent,slips in when your not watching and zip its gone.

Actually I had a friend at the repair shop that fills the bulbs in town so he has spares around....but only 110 volt :?

Thanks for all the info.

Yes - it is an American sign - with two halves. A red DONT WALK and a bluish WALK. A previous owner had rewired it via a motorised cam switch so that each light would illuminate for about 30 seconds. As the bulb holders are standard ES it works with 220/240 volt lamps.

I assume that there must be a number of these old signs around as last time I was in New York many had been changed to the walking/standing man image often using LEDs. All part of the reducing energy drive I suppose.

Misterfish

Soooo its been lifted already....good old Louie!!
well some places still have these,like everywhere in small town America...

Back