Glues Blues

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know if the cheap glue point was aimed at me or not but i use Titebond and D4 and i don't apply a lot of pressure when doing glue ups. I have seen and read many articles on squeeze out and some think it's an issue, clearly others do not. I am happy with my glue and my technique, so there i shall let it be and move on.

skipdiver":1utc5ze1 said:

That's certainly food for thought, he's an honest broker and a very smart craftsmen so you can't ignore his findings. I guess it comes down to a judgement call, here's some counter evidence but is it enough to overturn your previous conclusions? In my case, no, I'll definitely keep an open mind but I'll need a bit more evidence.

Thanks for posting though, very interesting!

ComfortablyNumb":3inty63n said:
pva doesn't work on Iroko even if you clean with acetone first. You need something like sovereign cascamite or PU glue

Maybe I've been lucky but I have successfully glued iroko with pva many times.

custard":26jypy2g said:
skipdiver":26jypy2g said:

That's certainly food for thought, he's an honest broker and a very smart craftsmen so you can't ignore his findings. I guess it comes down to a judgement call, here's some counter evidence but is it enough to overturn your previous conclusions? In my case, no, I'll definitely keep an open mind but I'll need a bit more evidence.

Thanks for posting though, very interesting!

I suppose it comes down to how strong is strong enough? His summary that the 'clamped hard' joints were 20% weaker may or may not have relevance in reality, because a 20% weaker joint may well still be 50%/20%/70% (or whatever) stronger than it needs to be for the stresses that are subsequently placed on said joint, so it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

I never meant to stir up a hornets nest and perhaps i have been duped by an urban myth regarding gluing techniques. I can honestly say that over my lifetime as a woodworker, i have never had a glue joint fail, at least not that i know about. Food for thought as you say but maybe not enough to change anyone's mind one way or t'other.

Back