Snipe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cerro

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Sehppach HMO solo planer and I did as you all advised me to set the blades which I have done from ¼” to 1/8” then to 1mm but I still get snipe very bad. (useing just the planer its perfect) Then I removed the in feed table and tried to get the out feed roller ( On thicknesses) to move down as it’s a good 1/8” higher than the blades and it should be level ( So the net tells me) but to no avail, it’s as far down as it will go I then built a flat plywood plank no good, so I built better one dead level snipe, and raised slightly still I get snipe only on the end not on the front, Just don’t know what to do next. Any comments would be appreciated. Thank you

Attachments

• DSC_2069.JPG
    DSC_2069.JPG
    168.6 KB · Views: 112
  • DSC_2067.JPG
    DSC_2067.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 116
  • DSC_2064.JPG
    DSC_2064.JPG
    240.5 KB · Views: 112
  • DSC_2066.JPG
    DSC_2066.JPG
    285.2 KB · Views: 108
From my understanding, the feed rollers should have some up and down movement? They are probably stuck in place.... maybe lubricate the ends and try to free them up?

The housings of rollers sometimes do not bottom out because of accumulated dust an debris.
Perhaps this is the case with your machine.

While your outfeed roller remains higher than the blades, you
will continue to have the problem.
By hook or by crook, you need to get that roller at least level
with the blades. Slightly below would be even better.

HTH

I have a Sehppach HMO solo planer and I did as you all advised me to set the blades which I have done from ¼” to 1/8” then to 1mm but I still get snipe very bad. (useing just the planer its perfect) Then I removed the in feed table and tried to get the out feed roller ( On thicknesses) to move down as it’s a good 1/8” higher than the blades and it should be level ( So the net tells me) but to no avail, it’s as far down as it will go I then built a flat plywood plank no good, so I built better one dead level snipe, and raised slightly still I get snipe only on the end not on the front, Just don’t know what to do next. Any comments would be appreciated. Thank you

The outfeed roller needs to be set just below the lowest point of the blade. If you have run out of adjustment and there's nothing blocking the spring/travel, then are the blades protruding too much from the cutter block?

The snipe looks prerrty bad. If you have time and appetite, P/Ts are not too bad to take apart, cleanup and rebuild. I did one as my second ever strip down and I'm a numpty.

I have had the rear roller out of its bed cleaned the roller and all the threads oiled and refitted it but it’s as far down in the frame as it will go and is a good 1/8” above the cutters. The front roller is no problem it goes up and down on its spring and sits a 1/8” above the cutter as is correct. The rear roller will go up and down on its spring but will not go down enough to be level with the cutter as the bearing is at its lowest in the bed of the frame. This is the set up as of YouTube. Thank you for your reply.

Attachments

• img002.jpg
    img002.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 66
The outfeed roller needs to be set just below the lowest point of the blade. If you have run out of adjustment and there's nothing blocking the spring/travel, then are the blades protruding too much from the cutter block?

The snipe looks prerrty bad. If you have time and appetite, P/Ts are not too bad to take apart, cleanup and rebuild. I did one as my second ever strip down and I'm a numpty.
Thats an Idea as I looked at highering the cutter but ruled it out I think I will invest in new blades and play with the hights. Thank you

Are those feed rollers rubber coated? If so, check their diameter.

The infeed roller should also be below the cutting circle of the blades or the wood will get kicked back towards you!

Think the infeed roller should be 1mm below the blades and outfeed roller 2mm below?

Edited to get my figures the right way round after checking manual (although this is on a Sedgwick).

Last edited:
I was thinking about that, any chance the roller has shed its coating?
I guess it's possible. Could be it's worn, or maybe a previous owner removed it to hide damaged spots.
Who knows.

I guess it's possible. Could be it's worn, or maybe a previous owner removed it to hide damaged spots.
Who knows.
[The roller is in perfect condition, and has crisscross patterns like it’s new

Maybe a silly idea as I'm not familiar with the machine, but can the bearing housings only go in one way round or could they possibly be upside down? I can't remember the machine now but I seem to recall one where they were asymmetrical, so they could physically be installed either way up but putting them in the wrong way limited the travel on the roller.

Back