Smelling oak...... A whole lot.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8squared

Established Member
Reaction score
I made a pencil holder from a square piece of mahogany/sapele inserted into a square piece of oak, I then spliced mahogany/sapele into the corners of the oak with the intention of shaping it... Probably just taking off the corners a little.

Apart from the drill press to drill holes for pencils and remove waste from the oak I used hand tools to make it.

Naturally for me it wasn't perfect, just a few small gaps between the two pieces. My first thought was to fill the gaps with sawdust and glue but I decided against it as any glue residue left would affect the stain/oil.

So...

For no rational reason I can think of... I thought putting it in a pan of water and boiling it a little would swell the wood and seal the gaps.

Wood in pan of cold water then placed on stove....

Waiting and waiting...

I decided for 2 or 3 minutes I would go clean the mess I made while the water boiled.

Sometime later....

Two of my older kids came into my workshed asking if I put the stove on as the kitchen is full of smoke.

There was my pencil holder in a hot pan with no water burning away billowing smoke.

Despite my best efforts to clean the pan open all the windows and get rid of the smoke as soon as the Mrs arrived home she couldn't help but noticed...

The windows open
The smell
The slightly dirty pan... With a very wonky bottom.

Learn by your mistakes they say... That I will cause now I've got to go pan shopping for Christmas.

Pic to follow tomorrow.

Oh dear!
Those Christmas pans, will be better with a box of chocolates in them.

Bod

You might want that boy of yours back in the workshop to supervise you :wink:

Did the same thing the other day with boiled eggs. Thought i'd turned off the pan but had put it on simmer setting. Luckily i spotted it before too much damage was done. Le Creuset pans aint cheap. Hope your oak tasted better than my eggs. :lol:

We searched the kitchen high and low for a dead rodent, pulling out the fridge, oven, freezer ... nothing. Then we found the source of the smell - several weeks before, swmbo had put away one tier of a stainless steel steamer full of cooked sprouts.

Pizza for lunch yesterday, got a phone call just after putting it in and before I'd set the buzzer. Luckily I caught the smell a few minutes into another call. At least the Dogs enjoyed an unexpected lunch.

Latest posts

Back