Smartwatch for the workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyBerty

Reaction score
Hi this is my first post and hopefully someone can help.

I'm looking to get a smartwatch as knowing when calls and emails coming through while I'm using the planer/thicknesser would be really handy.

Does anyone have any suggestions for quality, rugged smartwatches that will withstand the sawdust, oils, bangs and scratches it's likely to be subjected to?

Many thanks

My son who works for me has a Samsung galaxy that seems hard wearing. What i have done to know when calls or messages are coming in is have ear buds in. I listen to audiobooks, but will hear calls no problem. You can get ear defenders that are comfortable to wear over the ear buds too.

The problem with a smartwatch is you will need to keep checking it in any case.

Nick

I have had an Apple Watch for about a year to maybe two. 🤔 When messages, a phone call and I think emails, comes in the watch vibrates a little for a moment alerting you. You can set it so nothing makes it vibrate if you don't want the alerts. I put on the watch when I wake up and take it off when I go to bed and it experiences everything I do and hasn't missed a beat yet. If a phone call comes through you can answer it with the watch and read and reply to messages or use the phone which I keep in my pocket. I suppose the other phone compatible watches are the same but have no first hand experience with them.

Pete

I have a Garmin fenix 3 sports watch. It is very rugged and waterproof to 30m and you can set it to vibrate when you receive a message or call. You will need to charge it every two weeks though. I use jaw-type Bluetooth earbuds that won't fall onto the floor or into machinery if they slip out and can wear defenders over the top when required. I can receive and make calls hands-free and ask my phone questions (convert, add, multiply, etc.) but I don't need the watch for that, just a phone. The fenix 3 is years out of date so should be able to get it heavily discounted online.

I have a Garmin Vivoactive 4 which vibrates when I get a call or a message and shows on the screen who it's from and first line of message, WhatsApp or email title. Still need the phone to answer the call or reply to messages etc, but a quick glance tells me whether it's important or not. I need to charge it roughly every 5 -6 days. I'm sure the current model does the same or even more.

I have a Garmin fenix 3 sports watch. It is very rugged and waterproof to 30m and you can set it to vibrate when you receive a message or call. You will need to charge it every two weeks though. I use jaw-type Bluetooth earbuds that won't fall onto the floor or into machinery if they slip out and can wear defenders over the top when required. I can receive and make calls hands-free and ask my phone questions (convert, add, multiply, etc.) but I don't need the watch for that, just a phone. The fenix 3 is years out of date so should be able to get it heavily discounted online.
Yeah this sounds perfect. The vibrations for texts and calls are exactly what I need and I don't need anything too fancy. A heavy discount sounds right up my street. Thanks

Just to state the obvious - but are you invested in a particular eco system.... as that will often dictate your choice. Like Pete (@Inspector ) I'm an Apple Watch User and have been since they came out and I've upgraded multiple times due to technology upgrades not through any fault of the device and never had any issues - but I'm hugely invested in the Apple ecosystem as for me it all works and integrates seamlessly.
If you are a Samsung user then a Galaxy variant would be the obvious choice, I'm not an Android user but this would be more typically where the Garmins usually get preferred, they can work with an iPhone but the functionality is limited so you tend to see this less...

HTH

Padster

I'm a big garmin fan, but it might be overkill for you... depending on price, and if you do fitness activities.

I have a Garmin 935 and love it, but the fenix range is essentially the same watch in a more rugged package. The sapphire screen is brilliant and scratch resistant but the fenix was to bulky for me. I bought one but swapped out out for the 935.

I use a Samsung Gear S3 Frontier watch (there are newer versions out now) and it's used with my Samsung Android phone.

In fairness the notifications do tend to be a bit hit and miss, but what is handy is that I can answer phone calls on the watch. The battery needs charging every 3 days though.

Just to state the obvious - but are you invested in a particular eco system.... as that will often dictate your choice. Like Pete (@Inspector ) I'm not an Android user but this would be more typically where the Garmins usually get preferred, they can work with an iPhone but the functionality is limited so you tend to see this less...

HTH

Padster

The Garmin's tend to be bought by people who play sports, as they are still by far the best sports watches and tie in with previous use history on Garmin software etc.

Can I introduce a bit of reality ? Yes, it's great to be able to get notification of texts, send texts, answer the phone etc but isn't the focus on keeping your digits still attached to your hands while you're focussing on work? I suggest that the only key thing to consider is to be able to answer an incoming call if you want to. Texts are not time-critical.

That's what I do. I have a pair of Stihl ear-defenders with built in Bluetooth connected to my smartphone. Any incoming calls can be answered directly from the Stihl and to can converse with the caller. The ear-defenders are also pretty cool sonic-wise and I regularly listen to music while carrying out the monotonous task of thicknessing.

Unless you want to know your heart-rate, blood oxygen, how long your last marathon took, I suggest that a smartwatch is overkill and a constant source of distraction. I sold mine for that very reason.

Can I introduce a bit of reality ? Yes, it's great to be able to get notification of texts, send texts, answer the phone etc but isn't the focus on keeping your digits still attached to your hands while you're focussing on work? I suggest that the only key thing to consider is to be able to answer an incoming call if you want to. Texts are not time-critical.

That's what I do. I have a pair of Stihl ear-defenders with built in Bluetooth connected to my smartphone. Any incoming calls can be answered directly from the Stihl and to can converse with the caller. The ear-defenders are also pretty cool sonic-wise and I regularly listen to music while carrying out the monotonous task of thicknessing.

Unless you want to know your heart-rate, blood oxygen, how long your last marathon took, I suggest that a smartwatch is overkill and a constant source of distraction. I sold mine for that very reason.
I have the opposite experience. I find that glancing down at my watch when my phone beeps usually confirms that what's just landed is in fact 'non-urgent' and something I can look at later.

I don't look at it every time it beeps but a little glance across is all it takes and I find that efficient for me in that it stops me taking my phone out of my pocket 9 out of 10 times.

Martin

I have the opposite experience. I find that glancing down at my watch when my phone beeps usually confirms that what's just landed is in fact 'non-urgent' and something I can look at later.

I don't look at it every time it beeps but a little glance across is all it takes and I find that efficient for me in that it stops me taking my phone out of my pocket 9 out of 10 times.

Martin
I guess it will depend on the number of incoming calls one gets. In my case - very few - yeah, I know, just call me NoMates :ROFLMAO:

If anyone does ring, I can answer the call from the Stihl headphones without needing to touch or look at the phone.

I take my smart watch off before I go the workshop as I don't want the distraction, it's always on when I'm not in there though. Besides, from past experience I tend to damage watches quite quickly in the workshop which isn't something I want to do with a few hundred pounds worth of watch ;)

I personally would not want a watch that can vibrate at any moment. The thing i have found with ear buds (or bluetooth ear defenders is that the phone beeping in for a call or message is less distracting. It is just a noise change that I can ignore if right in the middle of something, but at least i know i have missed a call or have a message to check when free.

Nick

I'm looking to get a smartwatch as knowing when calls and emails coming through while I'm using the planer/thicknesser would be really handy.
That sounds like a really safe working practice, the last thing you need are distractions when operating machinery because life changing events happen in the blink of an eye.

The Garmin's tend to be bought by people who play sports, as they are still by far the best sports watches and tie in with previous use history on Garmin software etc.
As I said in the start it's about ecosystems, I play a lot of sport still but never used Garmin and am an Apple user (have been almost since the beginning of iPod/iPhone etc.) so an Apple Watch Ultra suits my needs perfectly... but won't suit everyone, I also want all the health data, the apps, the ability for it to be independent of my phone etc....

Cheap Amazfit watch/band here - seems to cope pretty well, and at £35 I'm not worried about it getting damaged.

This seems to be a question along the lines of "do you want an expensive watch or a cheap watch?"

Latest posts

Back