Small tool rest for jet1442

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kev2012

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, does anyone know where I can get a small tool rest, 4" or so? The lathe came with long tool rest but I'd like to get small one for small projects. I had a look online but no real luck yet.

Thanks

+1 for Stiles and Bates, I had one for my last lathe and they are solid bts of kit. Solid steel in the round and I think they do quite a few sizes. I will definately be getting one for my new lathe when funds permit.

Steve

Hi,

Thansk all, i have the robert sorby tool rest but when i tried to use it, it sat too high (higher than the chuck center) and i felt it woudl be a shame to cut the metal bar down to size as they well made.

thanks for the size information, how do i work out what size Stem i need?

Do i simply measure form the centre of the chuck to down inside the Stem holder?

Thanks

Kevin

Hi Kevin

When I had my 1442 I bought a 6" Axminster rest, I think that technically it was for the M950 (as it was at the time) but it had the same 1" tool post diameter. I always got on with the standard 12" and the 6", appart from making my long wooden rest for stair spindles and walking sticks, they were all I used.

The other options are the Sorby round bar system or to have something made. I could give you details of a good engineer. I guess you could always cut down the 12" rest if you bought another though?

HTH

Richard

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. The 12" tool rest is fine for big work but i wanted a smaller oen for doing smaller projects.

i will take a look at Axminster, thanks.

Kevin

Hi Kevin

That looks like the one. Might be worth giving them a call to check but I'm pretty sure that's the fella'

Cheers

Richard

hi,

great, i'll try and give them a ring or i might just pop into there store Friday as i'll be near one of there stores then.

Thanks again for your help!

I had the same problem a few years, and needed a small rest for some lace bobbins. I ended up going to a machine shop and they knocked one there and then, for a few quid. It worked very well.

Hi all,

Just got one of the Axminster all tool rests mentioned above and fits fine!

Many thanks all!

Back