Small Circular Saw Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmp

Established Member
Reaction score
I have an issue with a small cheap circular saw I bought just before last christmas. I bought a lightweight one to do a small area of flooring. Although I have only used it a couple of times it seemed to be OK and produced reasonable cuts with little breakout, today I tried to cut some 18mm plywood and couldn't get a straight line (cut seemed to vary in thickness) and the breakout was awful. Fitting a new blade made no improvement so I have had a better look, the blade arbor has a fair bit of play, about 2mm at the blade teeth which I think is excessive. Any advice on if this is typical of this type of saw or is it likely a bearing has failed? The saw is a Mac Allister 1200w from B&Q, my old Black and Decker Pro saw from some 30 years ago has absolutely no play at all.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Keith

If you buy rubbish then you will get rubbish. In my view, since the purchaser (you in this case) is often innocent, it is unethical to sell such poorly-conceived products.

Not worth repairing.

Thanks guys, I'll just have to except that this tool buying business is a bit of an expensive learning curve. While it seems that it could be exchanged I'm not sure another one is worth getting.

I am thinking about replacing it with a "plunge saw" but again can't really justify the expense of a Festool etc so have been looking at the Scheppach/Woodstar version. Any experience with this type? I'm looking for an affordable tool which will stand up to typical DIY use and last a little longer than a few months.

Any help would be very useful.

Keith

There are a few threads on the scheppach ts55. One was started by me. The current model is different to the early ones- the current model is a couple of years old now. The consensus seems to be that it is not quite a festool but is good value for money and performs very well. There are a couple of things that arent quite as good as the festool- splinter guard for instance. The woodstar IIRC is a bit of a dog.

For 219 including the 2 rails I thing the scheppach would be a good choice for non professional use and probably more besides. If you are using it all day every day, the festool is probably a no brainier, but is a bit harder to justify if it is only needed a few times a year.

Marcros, thanks very much for that it answers the questions I had in mind. Having looked for one I find that very few places have them available. I see the Screwfix do a PL45 version but the pictures don't seem to match the later version of the CS55 you reviewed. I will have to have a better look to see if I can find a supplier as it looks and sounds just the thing for my type of use.

Thanks again for your help

Keith

Back