Small chamfer plane from block plane.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baldpate

Established Member
Reaction score
Hope this may be of interest to others who, like me, have difficulty planing a good chamfer freehand.

I came by this little unbranded, 110-style block plane and was wondering what I could do with it (other than use it as a paperweight). With a little drilling and tapping, it has turned into quite a useful small chamfer plane.
DSCF0290_small.jpg

DSCF0287_small.jpg

DSCF0288_small.jpg

The fences are built up by laminating 3mm birch ply bases to the triangular hardwood sections; each is secured and adjusted with short M6 flanged bolts seated into four tapped holes in the sole of the plane.

It has only limited capacity - the widest chamfer it will cut is only 6mm. That's because I wasn't careful enough about where I drilled the securing holes, which were placed too near the centre-line of the sole. In retrospect, I could and should have placed them as near to the sides of the plane as possible, which would have allowed chamfers up to 10/12 mm wide.

Still, it's turned into a useful little tool for hardly any effort or expenditure.

Chris

Attachments

• DSCF0290_small.jpg
    DSCF0290_small.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 790
  • DSCF0287_small.jpg
    DSCF0287_small.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 790
  • DSCF0288_small.jpg
    DSCF0288_small.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 790
That's a neat idea - and an ideal use for the sort of plane which isn't going to be spoiled by having a few new holes drilled in it!

Back