Sliding Compound Mitre Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidE

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

First an apology - sorry to fall into ubiquitous trap of lurking and then barging into an internet forum with questions.

Anyhow, I have been reviewing and searching through a lot of the posts here and across the wider internet. I’ve been searching for information on sliding compound mitre saws as I’m currently in the market for one. I already have quite a few yellow (DeWalt) hand tools and I’ve been very pleased with them. My cordless drill/driver has seen around nine years of hard service and is still going strong – I’ve just had to repair a battery pack once.

I’ve been anchoring after a SCMS for a while and a recent purchase of a house which I intent to renovate has given me a further excuse. (I’m also after a table saw and planer/thicknesser, however, they will have to wait). I was looking at the DW718 in my local dealer the other week and was quite seduced by it. My rationale over getting such a big beastie as I can never wish I should have got a bigger capacity saw and I also can see me cutting some rather large wood with it.

As mentioned above I have been looking across the internet and find conflicting views on the saw. There have been a few topics here which have skirted round the issue. I want to buy a quality, accurate saw – I also want the sliding part to get the capacity and the ability to cut joints with the saw. I know it is a big lump but it is still portable which is good for moving about too.

Okay so I will be going back to look at the one in the shop before I buy from there – maybe with a slightly different eye. Are there users of the DW718 on the forum and what is their view? From a post last autumn, it seems Mike.C owns one and has promised a review (which will be very useful), I couldn’t find any early posts where anyone dropped some hints on what it was like though. Does anyone have any suggestions on other saws I should maybe consider and look at? I am a wood turner, who enjoys flat work too and would like to buy for the long term so the SCMS will be useful for things like furniture too – not just site work. If I ever find some more time I could think about segmented turning and I know some of the renowned turners in this area do use mitre saws to build staves up etc – so I don’t want to be frustrated with the repeatability.

Sorry for the long ramble – any thoughts on this are most appreciated.
Thanks, David

i have a dw 712 and am very impressed with after 2 years. it is supremely accurate and nicely made and put together with no gimmicks. the dewalt blade is fit only for site work i have fitted a freud blade. i also have a large chop saw station with stops etc although the dewalt stand is top notch. the only negative, and i think it applies to every scms they are messy, the dust extraction is poor and it is difficult to rig up anything effective. the dewalt has a great trenching stop although i wouldnt want to cut lots of joints by nibbling, it is very exhausting although i often cut shoulders. the choice of blade for this size saw(81/4) is not great.

I am unable to comment on the DeWalt 718. FWIW, if my memory serves me correctly at the Kempton Park Show they had the DW718V (the laser model version) on special, it was a few pence under #500.00. Had I been in the market for one I would have been tempted. It may pay you to go to the Ally Pally if DeWalt are exhibiting to see if they repeat their offer.

Cheers Con

i have the DW718 at work and i cant fault it in any way even the blade that came with it is good.... o the site stand sagged in the middle but i sorted it by moving the legs

David

Welcome to the forum.

can't help you on the DW becasue I have the Makita, have you thought about other models out there?

Hi there,
Thanks for all the replies so far

johhnyb - Thanks for your thoughts. I think I accept the dust extraction bit. If I'm making lots of cuts in a confined environment I would probably rig up one of my dust extractors from turning and/or wear my respirator.
I will remember your comment about the blade and look for a nice fine toothed one. I was impressed with the stand in the shop.

Con - Thanks for the tip there. That is a good price, the dealer I have seen it in has a pretty good price with the stand (and factory fitted laser) at the moment. Not as good as that - though if I factor travel in and also what else I might see to buy at the show it would probably be a lot more expensive! :wink:

mambo - Thanks for your thoughts that is good to know.

Waka - I am open minded, I guess as there is a good dealer round the corner who has lot's of yellow stuff and I have already started collecting yellow! Just looking at I guess the comparable Makita now (LS1214/2?) It is quite similar the capacities look a little less? and maybe it is a little smaller. It also looks about £100 cheaper. How do you go on for stands with the Makita's?

George_N - Thanks!

I had a DW708, now replaced by the 718. Very capable but I didn't like it for the work I do and having such a big blade whizzing inches away from my fingers gave me the heebies. Don't anyone tell me they always use a clamp :roll: :D

I've now got a DW712 which I'm very happy with, IMHO the smaller blade allows a little more accuracy. Plus I think they had some quality issues with the 718, may be resolved now.

Keith

Hello there Dave,

I have one or two dewalt hand tools and there are impressive. However my chop saw is the makita and it is an excellent machine. Quiet small, but very solid and accurate.

I would give the makita range a look before finally reaching a decision.

Good luck and happy sawing. Esc.

Hi David,

As for Waka and Escudo, I can't help on the DW - I've had a Makita LS1013 for about 4 years and have never regretted buying it. It was quite dear at the time (about £550 incl stand) but I think you can get them for about £470 now.

Not sure whether it'll cover your capacity requirements but as others have said it's an excellent peice of kit - accurate and oozes quality. Of all my purchases on workshop equipment it's the machine that confirmed to me that spending that bit extra for quality really does pay.

Anyway just my 2cents....

Cheers,
Martin.

Hi David

Just to throw my favourite into the ring, I am a huge fan of the Bosch GCM 10SD of which there are several in the forum. Its big brother is the GCM 12SD detailed here and a touch cheaper than the DW and much nicer IMO. I tried both an preferred the usability of the Bosch - you can do all settings from the front including the compound mitering.

HTH

nice video as well here

D&M have an offer on DW712 HERE Thats about £100 cheaper than what I paid :cry: Mind you if mine blew up or just broke down I wouldn't hesitate to buy another even at the price I originally paid. :)

Thanks for all the input. I looked round a few places and compared the DW718 to a few other models (similar spec and smaller). I finally went back to the shop and got the DW718V (laser version) and the stand for a good price. Obviously I've not had chance to use it much... my first impressions have been good though :)

Thanks again
David

(PS I've got to stop reading the thread about that Jet Planer/Thicknesser!)

Hi David,

My name is James and I live in Huntsville, Texas USA. One week ago I purchased the DW718 saw, DW7187 laser system for it and also the DW713 Miter saw stand. After spending several hours fine tuning the adjustments for the bevel and miter cuts I changed the factory 60 tooth blade to an 80 tooth fine finish blade. I then spent several hours making test cuts in miter and bevel settings in different width and thickness boards. After each cut I would check the board for precise cuts and the machine for maintaining the adjustments. All my test tools are Starrette micrometers, angle gages, and tri squares. None of the cuts were off adjustment over .004 on boards as wide as 10 inches. That is more than good enough for wood work. Whether this saw will maintain these adjustments through extensive use remains to be seen. All 45 miters were perfect with no gap in the cuts. Most people don't have the precision tools to set up a saw or piece of equipment like I do or they just don't take the time, but I have worked with large equipment and precision tools all my life and enjoy doing it. I think the DW718 saw is as good as any saw on the market and probably better than most. I would highly recommend it for anyone wanting a top quality tool that will give them precision work and quality results.

James Huntsville, Tx.

Hi James,
Thanks for your detailed reply. It is good to know that the saw performed well in your tests. It will also be interesting to see if the saw can keep it's repeatability. I have been impressed with the surface finish of the factory supplied 60 tooth blade, there is no tear out at all on the end grain. I also spent a bit of time yesterday setting the laser correctly. Even though it was factory set it was about a 1/16" away from the edge of the kerf. Once I got that right I was extremely pleased with it's accuracy at projecting the cut line

Thanks,
David

JamesHuntsville":29vjsnm3 said:
Hi David,

My name is James and I live in Huntsville, Texas USA. One week ago I purchased the DW718 saw, DW7187 laser system for it and also the DW713 Miter saw stand. After spending several hours fine tuning the adjustments for the bevel and miter cuts I changed the factory 60 tooth blade to an 80 tooth fine finish blade. I then spent several hours making test cuts in miter and bevel settings in different width and thickness boards. After each cut I would check the board for precise cuts and the machine for maintaining the adjustments. All my test tools are Starrette micrometers, angle gages, and tri squares. None of the cuts were off adjustment over .004 on boards as wide as 10 inches. That is more than good enough for wood work. Whether this saw will maintain these adjustments through extensive use remains to be seen. All 45 miters were perfect with no gap in the cuts. Most people don't have the precision tools to set up a saw or piece of equipment like I do or they just don't take the time, but I have worked with large equipment and precision tools all my life and enjoy doing it. I think the DW718 saw is as good as any saw on the market and probably better than most. I would highly recommend it for anyone wanting a top quality tool that will give them precision work and quality results.

James Huntsville, Tx.

Back