Skype Paypal Hacking Problem - Help Me.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noel

Staff member
Reaction score
I use Skype a lot for calls to Europe and NZ. Happy enough, great service.
Anyway, got an email from Paypal yesterday:

"Skype has cancelled a Payment Agreement with you.
Description: Billing Agreement
Manage your Payment Agreement by logging in to your PayPal account and clicking the Payment Agreement link under your Profile. In your Profile, you can choose and edit your preferred funding source and cancel your Billing Agreement.
If you need to contact Skype directly, please use the following channels:
-----------------------------------
Business Information
-----------------------------------
Business: Skype
Contact Email: [email protected]
Yours sincerely,
PayPal

First thing I did was check that the mail was genuine and logged into Paypal from another PC. Problem is I don't have a payment agreement with Skype. Just use the free service and at no time have I ever linked my Paypal account with my Skype account.
So, another email arrives today:

As part of our security measures, we regularly screen activity in the
PayPal system. During a recent screening, we noticed an issue regarding
your account.
We have reason to believe that your account was accessed by a third party.
We have limited access to sensitive PayPal account features in case your
account has been accessed by an unauthorised third party. We understand
that having limited access can be an inconvenience, but protecting your
account is our primary concern.
Reference Number: **** etc
For your protection, we have temporarily limited access to your account. We
will review this access once you have completed all the steps we have
requested. You can view these steps in the Resolution Centre of your PayPal
account.
To review your account and some or all of the information that PayPal used
to make its decision to limit your account access, please visit the
Resolution Centre. If, after reviewing your account information, you seek
further clarification regarding your account access, please contact PayPal
by visiting the Help Centre and clicking 'Contact Us'.
Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. Please understand that
this is a security measure intended to help protect you and your account.
We apologise again for any inconvenience this may cause you.
Yours sincerely,
PayPal Account Review Department

Ok, so Paypal have had somebody try to access my account. Gotta to be Skype. Well, the good news is that I have zilch in both accounts but a quick search revealed that this has been a common problem with Skype users for the past few weeks, see especially The Registery and the users forum at Skype.com.
It seems that I can sort out my Paypal account by following the instructions at the Resolution Centre on the Paypal site but what to do to stop this happening again? And how did my Paypal account and Skype get linked together by the no-life that tried to nick from my valueless accounts? Went to my Paypal account but can't even find any Payment Agreements although that may be because of the limited access I now have but as I said never made any agreements in the first place.
Rgds
Noel

Most likely thing that has happened is they have gone through your email address as generally people only have one of them and use it for everything, so if you used it for your skype as well as your paypal they just link to it to try and rip you off that way.

Raggy":2oyoputv said:
Most likely thing that has happened is they have gone through your email address as generally people only have one of them and use it for everything, so if you used it for your skype as well as your paypal they just link to it to try and rip you off that way.

Ok, I guessed that but how can anybody access my Paypal account without the password? Or my Skype account?

Dont know how charging the paypal account goes but maybe they just tried without your password thats why it was suspicious

Back