Sketchup Workflow

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noddy67

Established Member
Reaction score
To all you Sketchup ninjas out there I'd welcome some help. I've been a fan of using sketchup for designing woodworking projects for a while now but one area I still struggle with is efficiently converting my drawings into a cultist and useable shop drawings. I often want drawings of individual components with dimensions and angles on them but find the process to be pretty drawn out.

i've read some of the posts on fine woodworking.com which have helped a bit but I'd welcome any info on peoples workflow that they use to go from idea to sketch up model to printed out component drawings and cultists. I'm using the free version on a mac.

Thanks in advance for any help.

The free version does not have as many features in the output department as the paid version. Layout is the bit that produces paper drawings. It's a lot to pay for that extra bit, given that the free version has so much functionality, but it is quite a key step.

I realise that that is not what you wanted to hear.

In terms of printing from Sketchup free version.

This plugin http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/110 ... ect-plugin will aid in re-sizing the drawing to fit a predetermined paper size. I do not know if it will print dimensions.

My own plugin, see signature and http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/471 ... -templates. Will allow you to print full sized drawings, tiled if necessary, but sadly without dimensions. At the time of writing, the plugin, these were not available through the Ruby api, sorry programmers speak.

If I can help with the latter please get in touch.
xy

You might try getting in touch with David Richards from the blog at Fine Woodworking. Either of xy's links will get you there. He seems to be open to helping others. He links his e-mail at the end of his blog posts.

Back