Sketchup vs Autocad

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John, I'm glad that made you laugh.

Sorry, I can't answer your question about which CAD application to use for your drawers into PDFs. I'd do it in SketchUp but that's just me.

Benchwayze":kx6basym said:
Quote:
[...]Now, I need to make some perspective drawings of drawer construction for an Acrobat-File project I am involved in.

What's the best CAD solution to produce drawings like that?
or should I stay with hand drawing, as I used to do for bespoke furniture, to show a client.

I can scan in the drawings and use Photoshop to produce j pegs, that I can paste into 'Word' before I convert to PDF.
There is no need to drag the image into Word to create a .pdf. If you have Photoshop 7 or later you can save the jpeg automatically as a Photoshop PDF file directly from within Photoshop. Just click Save as.. and scroll down the list. :)

Tony":37op543d said:
this is one of the main failings I see in SU, one is typically not actually producing drawings of finished parts from which one can maufacture them, just a 'sketch' of an overall shape

Surely the whole point of Sketchup is that enables one to produce a 3-d sketch of a design, rather than working engineering drawings.

A good woodworker doesn't need detailed drawings of every componant and joint - from a decent 3-d sketch he can quickly work out in his head how he is going to make the piece and then produce a cutting list with a pencil and paper. That is the element of his craft that should be intuitive.

Sketchup is the ideal tool for producing the initial sktch of the design.

Cheers
Virgil

hiltsy":2l0qyeri said:
Surely the whole point of Sketchup is that enables one to produce a 3-d sketch of a design, rather than working engineering drawings.

A good woodworker doesn't need detailed drawings of every componant and joint - from a decent 3-d sketch he can quickly work out in his head how he is going to make the piece and then produce a cutting list with a pencil and paper. That is the element of his craft that should be intuitive.

Sketchup is the ideal tool for producing the initial sktch of the design.

Cheers
Virgil

You're right. However you can draw in as much detail as you want using SU. You can easily work out all of the construction details that you need and while you might not be able to make the sort of technical drawings you'd find in a commercial machine shop, you can definitely generate acceptable construction drawings for the woodshop.

Latest posts

Back