• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Sjoberg Workbench, Wooden Screw Vices, Guildford

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonm

Established Member
Reaction score
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/33430252...rentrq:8b8929e317e0ab8d4d3b68cdfff5a4da|iid:1
£315 buy it now or offers. I am tempted by this but better to wait till I have sorted my workshop/garage. Would probably go for it if it was closer.

I would be interested in comments about the layout, the front vice looks like it could be awkward to use. Tail vice layout looks useful

Apparently “Manufactured by Sjoberg’s between 1960-69 and model 1522BS professional Swedish woodworker’s bench. Made from beech and birch.” Information about a Sjobergs woodworking table - FineWoodworking

. FF1DD544-229F-4E79-B1D7-20437808C8E6.jpeg

Last edited:
There lovely bench but all depends what you building.
you haven’t got much working space.

That is sorely tempting, and just up the road, but I think I'd be better off making my own bench a bit more functional. Nice spot though.

There lovely bench but all depends what you building.
you haven’t got much working space.
I was thinking of something clamped in the front vice and getting to it with the large gap plus end of screw and handle in the way. Am I missing something or is this setup just not as good as a normal metal woodworking vice.

It does depend what you're building, but the shoulder vice is considered a very good option ergonomically for dovetailing and has the advantage of not racking because you can get the work directly behind the screw. The tail vice is also extremely handy. Check out Frank Klausz (or Rob Cosman) for a proper demonstration. I think the only reasons more people just stick with a Record pattern vice is that they are significantly more complicated to build and the shoulder vice makes your bench an awkward shape IF your bench exists in a space where you do other stuff as well. That looks like a great woodworking bench. Anybody repurposing it into something else deserves to be struck down and repurposed into a river table.

the shoulder vice is considered a very good option ergonomically for dovetailing and has the advantage of not racking because you can get the work directly behind the screw
Thankyou, I had a look at a Frank Klausz dovetail video and can see that the shoulder vice has advantages, particularly with a longer piece of wood held vertically and, as you say, get the screw directly behind the wood.

It was sold yesterday, so was only on for about 12 hours. Useful discussion for me as I now have learnt the name of a tool “shoulder vice” and have some idea why they are used.

Also I looked up why they are sometimes referred to as a “Vise“. Apparently in the U.S., the word for the clamping tool is spelled vise, a bad habit is spelt vice.

Back