• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

NVR rocker switch bargain

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alan895

Established Member
Reaction score
Whilst looking for a replacement NVR switch earlier today on the bay I came across this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/31366486...rentrq:0f4f26ca1870a9d9447791e8fffc8193|iid:1

First instinct was to assume it to be a misprice considering it's £21.98 on Axminster's website however upon asking the question it was confirmed to be correct:

1679589880271.png

As of posting this there were 9 still available, hopefully it helps someone who needs a spare or replacement.

Just bought three. I can put them with the two Trend NVR units I bought ten years ago. Who knows, if I never find a use for them maybe I could give them as Christmas presents.

Never seen NVR rocker switch before. Wonder how it works if rocker is in on position when power outage occurs? When power comes on, its still in on position, so how is it NVR.

You prolly have to switch it off and on again to get power.

Has anyone received and used one yet?

Strange one this. I was going to buy a few having clicked onto the OP link above but then remembered I have the eBay app on my iPad (saves logging in, is official and makes payment easier).

Long story short, even though I've tried copy/paste of description, eBay item number (EIN) and another long code, the app says the item doesn't exist??

Anyone got any thoughts? I'm not buying so please beware!

The link goes directly to the official Ebay page for me. I purchased using my PC but I have just checked on my phone and the order shows there. It has also been disptched. I will update when it arrives.

Just to add a quick follow-up and to answer a couple of comments already made:

* The day I added the thread I bought one out of curiosity and it arrived the next day so no problems with Axminster fulfilling the order. Mine was sent via recorded delivery which the postie found amusing given the letterbox-friendly small jiffy bag and cheap price.

* It is a true NVR switch and works on the same principal as the typical red & green button version i.e. the contact will only be closed (or whatever the proper term is) when power is applied and all other times the inbuilt spring keeps the contact open.

I brought one then was offered some pillow bearings!

Is it a sign! DIY bandsaw? Wood mill?

Never seen NVR rocker switch before. Wonder how it works if rocker is in on position when power outage occurs? When power comes on, its still in on position, so how is it NVR.
In the absence of power it works as a momentary rocker, i.e. you can push it over but it won't latch to the on position and spring back to off. With power it locks itself into place, when the power goes off it then springs back.

There is a bit of a buzz on the switch if you turn it off manually while power is still attached. I found that disconcerting but that was with a not-entirely-safe test rigging. If it was firmly mounted in a chassis with the bitey bits enclosed I'm sure it'll be fine.

Yes, I did buy half a dozen of these when it was first put up here, for the price I figured I may as well keep them in reserve. My Dad's adopted some since, so perhaps not as good value as it first appeared. I bought them up, they refilled the number available the following day.

As for the price - this is a blind guess. Perhaps because they're "only" CE marked and do not bear the UKCA stamp of approval post Brexit?

My thicknesser has a rocker style NVR. It won’t start if the switch is left in the on position.
You have to switch it to the off position then back on to restore power.

Correction: I just had another look and it is as ajs said…..
The switch only latches on when power is present and it is spring loaded so when power is removed, it turns itself to the ‘OFF’ position.

Last edited:
Back