six week layoff ... going out of my tree!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yorkshire Sam

Established Member
Reaction score
Had an operation christmas eve on my stomach. Been told cannot drive for at least two weeks and no exertion or lifting for a further six. Nearly two weeks in I am going nuts. I know by the way my stomach feels when I lift something light ( like a cup of tea) that its going to take some time before I am back in my workshop. My wife ( who knows me too well) has even taken the garage keys and hidden them so I cant even go into the garage to have a look round. Its going to be a long six weeks!
How do others handle enforced layoffs without losing it!

Old fashioned technology;
Jigsaw puzzles.
Card patience with an actual pack of cards (takes a 100 times longer to play one game #-o )
Scrabble with the wife, winner to keep the garage keys for another day.
A3 drawing pad, working out 1st how to draw again without a computer, and 2nd listing out all your projects for when you return to the bench.

But mostly, do what youre told! I know a couple people who thought they knew better than their doctors, and have never fully recovered.

I can sympathise with your plight, I had a similar lay off a couple of years ago after surgery suddenly you have loads of free time & cant do anything :evil: fortunately I like cricket & a kind relative gave me their log in code so I could watch sky sports on my tablet, normally I don’t have the time or indeed sky sports to indulge my love f the game so needed up making the most of it.

Hope your recovery is as swift as possible.

PS I seem to remember reading that all the episodes of New Yankee Woodshop are now available FOC that would kill a few days

Tough gig, but as others have said you need to heed the advice of the doctor, better six weeks of drudgery now that years if future problems! Get well soon. My saviour would be books, get a kindle and there are yards of free classics out there.

Fitz.

As others have said KEEP to the regime.

If you want some advice, ask any woman who's had a caesarean, from my experience, they are not to do heavy lifting, driving etc for a number of weeks.

On second thoughts...

Reading would be my answer, take the bus to your local library and browse.

Phil

Youtube.

Tons of instructional videos / entertainment on there.

Netflix box sets

As Bob outlined, plan your next projects, design them in sketchup with all the joinery included. Produce some cutting lists etc.

Best wishes with the recovery - been there done that, didn't enjoy it one bit. As others have said, pay heed to your doctors, otherwise expect a prolonged recovery - mine took 12 months ;-)

Bit late now but preparation is the key. Projects could have been prepped for low impact finishing tasks like staining, pyrography, engraving etc.

I had 7 months of sitting/lying on the couch after they had to fuse all my toe joints in my left foot and then another 5 months until i was off crutches. All through that I wasn't allowed to do anything construed as work, so I watched everything on netflix, amazon and now tv apart from the reality shows. To break the tedium I got some A4 pads and got a range of woodworking books covering subjects I was interested in but knew little about and went through them as if I was on a course taking notes etc. Certainly passed the time and gave me a good bit of new knowledge

I can sympathise with the situation having been through something similar after a hernia repair.I was strongly advised to take a daily walk,which I did and soon got bored with the local scenery but persisted.For a woodworking related activity might I suggest gaining a headstart by sketching a few projects for when a return to activity is permitted?Maybe even have a dabble with 3D modelling them using one of the freely available CAD programs.It keeps you involved in an interesting activity and beats watching Jeremy Kyle.

worn thumbs":2iy6vodd said:
........... and beats watching Jeremy Kyle.

That's an extremely low bar! I should think that using your inner thigh as a strop for your newly-sharpened chisels also beats watching Jeremy Kyle. :D

Yorkshire Sam":3pihqfq5 said:
How do others handle enforced layoffs without losing it!
I have a gaming computer and a Steam account...
I also have accounts with Origin, Uplay, GoodOldGames, Green Man Gaming and recently Epic.
Get a game called Subnautica. It's fantastic!

Reading, entire seasons of programmes, the Internet... There's usually something to do.
I recommend staying away from anything too comedic though, in case you laugh yourself back into the surgeon's office!!

treeturner123":819d5epk said:
As others have said KEEP to the regime.

If you want some advice, ask any woman who's had a caesarean, from my experience, they are not to do heavy lifting, driving etc for a number of weeks.

On second thoughts...

Reading would be my answer, take the bus to your local library and browse.

Phil
Agree entirely, do exactly what the docs tell you. I had a major op a couple of years ago for prostate cancer (now fully cured) and I was told to walk increasing distances each day. The urology nurse told me that when you've done too much, your body will tell you. Which it did, frequently, but also no heavy lifting for at least two months - Rob

How’s about learning how to use something like Sketchup properly to produce some plans for when you are better. If you are already an expert perhaps produce some plans that the rest of us can use :)

P.S. speedy recovery

Thanks guys for all the tips and advice. I do realise that I have to take the time to recover and am reminded daily when doing normal things like lifting a cup of tea or picking something up absentmindedly but I am learning. Already got an A4 pad full of scribblings and ideas even thought of getting some wood in to season for later until I realised that would involve lifting! Going to have to have a word with my son in law!

Have already started walking as an rehabilitation and am reviewing many of the previously watched utube videos... sure there must have been things I over looked.
Once again thanks for the sage advice, it has helped. Makes you aware of how many other people have gone through the same thing.

You have my sympathies mate, "Gute Besserung" ("get well soon").

A lot depends on you, and it takes discipline to keep to the regime laid down by the quacks - but you WILL regret it if you don't - DAMHIKT!

Many have said reading which personally I always find a great relief - there's so many "areas" that you can "escape" to, and personally I rate my Kindle very highly indeed - but NOT for any sort of "technical" books where you need to study drawings, photos, etc - Kindle handles those badly, but is great for print only - how else could you carry, say, 500+ books in a thing smaller than the average paperback?

Someone suggested learning Sketchup properly, which is obviously a great idea for someone who is a member here, and to that I'd add learning Photoshop (the "Lite" version is more than powerful enough for ordinary mortals) and again, that, together with learning how to post pics here, obviously has its uses for a member of UKW.

Re walking, it's good medically, but as said, can be boring. Have you got a friend or neighbour with a well-trained docile dog (not one who'll drag you off your feet)? If so going walkies with him/her is also a good way to add interest to walks.

And if your thoughts run in that direction, how about a go at learning a language, a musical instrument, or some practical geometry/maths (again, useful in the shop later). Lots of such tutorials on line as I'm sure you know.

HTH

I don't know what sort of stuff you do, but would modelling (planes, trains & automobiles) be of interest.

It kept me occupied when I screwed my back for weeks on end.

2 months off following major heart surgery (is any heart surgery minor?) so used the time on an on-line French course and loved every minute of it. Still doing it months later. Two walks a day of ever increasing distances filled in more time trying to reach the 1 mile target within 3 weeks that I was given. I’ve worked away from home since 2001, this enforced layoff was a godsend.

I was in a similar situation after having shoulder surgery which put my right arm out of action for weeks. I'm right handed so had to learn to do everything with my left hand, which was difficult. I ended up just watching youtube and box sets as I couldn't even use the computer mouse with my left hand. I've never been so bored.

I would sneak into the garage to tidy it up a bit, but then get frustrated as there would be something that needed doing that I couldn't do.

Exercise is a great help. I found 20 minutes per day on the fixed bike was a big help and improved my mood and fitness.

I also discovered pub quiz apps and websites, where there is an infinite amount of useless knowledge to be acquired. Should help with the next pub quiz though :lol:

Back