SIP double bag 3 hp convert to 1 bag

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumo2001

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone capped of one side of this type of extractor and just ran it as a single bag extractor please?
Just want to try and save some space LOL

Has anyone capped of one side of this type of extractor and just ran it as a single bag extractor please?
Just want to try and save some space LOL
Possible I guess I have a snail DX and it's only half a bigger one. You don't get much capacity in the cloth bag tbh. Ok for table saw router etc, not so good for PT or Spindler moulder ....

Maybe you could chop it up. I don’t know. Would it effect the motor cooling?

SIP does a 2hp extractor that is the size you want (2/3 as big as what you have now). I bought one recently. It is 2500m3/hr and yours is currently 3900m3/hr; thats what you lose going down 1hp. If the loss in extraction power is acceptable and you could trade down a size.

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/sip-dust-extractor-01954.91216/page-2#post-1563980

Last edited:
Most 2hp and 3hp dust collectors use the same impeller, about 12"/305mm. Since the motors both turn at the same speed the difference in airflow is due to the extra filters on the 3hp. You could maintain close to the flow of a double bagger with one side by going to a cartridge, the bigger and taller the better. If you stay with one bag the flow will drop off to that of a 2hp.

By the way the advertised flow rates are highly optimistic. In the real world they flow close to half the claims in the sales brochure.

Pete

I have a typical single bag over bag type extractor and have often wondered if it was worth getting a taller filter bag, maybe 1.8-2m?

I know I should be looking at a cartridge filter but I presume a taller bag would improve airflow over the standard height bag which is on it now, would be a cheap upgrade?

Something like available here

https://www.dustspares.co.uk/filters/wwffb/woodwork-floppy-filter-bag.html
Sorry for thread hijack but kind of relevant.

Back