Single or dual motor extractor?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oakbear

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'll be getting an dust extractor / shaving collector thingy in the not too distant. I'm after something not too huge, that can collect shavings and dust as i make them, and hoover up afterwards. I don't have wall space really so it could do with being portable.
I have a Jet air filter already, but higher filtration rate for the extractor as well seems to make sense.

I like the look of the Camvacs, or maybe a Record. Both have single and dual motor options.
How much difference does the second motor make?
How big a difference does extra hp make? What's enough to merrily hoover large shavings up with a 4" tube?

Any other suggestions?

Cheers!

Dust extractors (IME) clog up if you try and hoover shavings with them. Better off getting hold of a cylinder vac for that. Freecycle may be a source

Pete

Trying to collect shavings as you make them is a waste of time as they go in several different directions. The easiest way to deal with them is with a dustpan and brush and a big bin so that you can carry them out of the shop for disposal.

For dust I have the Camvac 336 with a twin motor I spent a lot of time looking before buying and decided that Camvac was the best for dust collection. The twin motor makes a big difference and it is worth going for, when doing small items such as pens & bottle stoppers I only have one motor running and a small extractor hood or there posable hose. When doing bowls etc I use both motors and a large extractor hood.

As mentioned I sweep the shavings up but occasionally give the floor a hoover using the camvac.

john

I don't bother trying to collect shavings in an extractor whilst I'm turning as they tend to fly everywhere anyway and you still need to clean up afterwards.
I'm lucky in that my lathe stand has a gap underneath the bed in which I can place a dustbin to collect shavings. The bin also serves as a temporary tool holder that I can shove long gouges in to keep them close to hand. The downside is that if I drop screws etc and they go in the bin they can be impossible to find.
Once I've finished I use a large dust pan to move most of the shavings from the floor to the bin.
My single motor Camvac is used to collect sanding dust but I often feel than the twin motor one would have been a better purchase as I can often see dust escaping it's posable hose. I really should get round to making a larger collector.
My Microclene ambient filter does a good job of removing dust from the air and in addition I always wear a respirator (JSP Powercap).

I also use the Camvac to collect stray shaving from the floor and for a really good tidy up. It used to fill up pretty quickly but I've made myself a Thien Cyclone Separator which takes out all the shavings and just lets the dust through to the Camvac. It even removes some of the dust as well so helps keep the filters clean for longer.

The problem with both of them is the noise and I can only imagine that the twin motor Camvac would be even louder.

Best bet would be to get to a woodworking show - Camvac and Record are usually at Harrogate in November.

Thanks folks, that's got me thinking....

Really i'm after something to hoover up more than reduce airborne dust (which would be a bonus, but not the main things i'm after).
I'm happy to carry on sweeping, but so much gets in awkward places, i want to be able to hoover up.

So what should i be getting? A hoover? A chip extractor?

That cyclone seperator looks pretty cool but size and the hassle of making it count against it (it sounds like it has to be fairly accurate to work). Can you buy them?

Back