single garage...upgrade...workshop!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mahomo59

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello!

Currently using a single garage that i need to upgrade cheaply and more user friendly. Its single skin brick with pilers and concrete corrugation sloping roof 3.5m x 5.2m. Rafters are 1.2m apart and are 7x2 built into the wall with the corrugations siting on these and bedded onto the brick wall. At the lowest point it's very low on head height.

My plan

Remove timber and sheets. Double up wall plate of 4x2, then sit 6x2 on these @ 400c (shortest span) Cover with 70mm celotex (that already, bought cheap!) Then fix 11mm Osb directly onto the insulation, cover with epdm or something??? Possibly plasterboard underside or 9mm ply. Hoping this will solve condensation and retain heat etc. Walls will be upgraded later...

Sound like a plan?

hi done something similar to my sons garage worked a treat but he was doing upgrades at the time and chatted to building inspector but not sure if you should tell them to see if you need permission .
pip

I would use 18 mm osb before laying your epdm 12 is a little thin. Also a quick and easy way to insulate your Walls would be to dry line Walls by fixing 2x1 battens at 400 centres and infilling with 1" cellotex before boarding over this will help retain as much space as possible in your garage and give you warm dry Walls
All the best

DUNK_WALES":35k5xqkf said:
I would use 18 mm osb before laying your epdm 12 is a little thin. Also a quick and easy way to insulate your Walls would be to dry line Walls by fixing 2x1 battens at 400 centres and infilling with 1" cellotex before boarding over this will help retain as much space as possible in your garage and give you warm dry Walls
All the best

Best and cheapest way if you do that is to use 25 thk slaters laths as they are pressure treated and won't be harmed if moisture gets to them (which it will through the brick or fixings). Talk to a local builders or roofing merchant and dig in for a good price, especially if you buy the cellotex at the same time.

Bob

Hi I would agree with Dunk 18mm Osb for the roof, for a roof coating that is easy to lay have a look at Wickes easy lay felt it is a two part self adeshive system and it is building approved 25mm Jablite is very cheap way of insulating the walls between 25mm roofing battens covered with either Osb or plasterboard but it is not so good sound if your are going to use power tools fibre glass is better but then you would have to increase the thickness of the battens or stud work, plus do not forget to insulate the floor this will make you fell a lot warmer.

hope this helps Rob

Thats great guys, I will upgrade to 18mm Osb and take a look at the wickes system. It may be easier to lay than epdm. Had thought of something similar for the walls, whereby i used 25mm celotex and osb/plasterboard. I'll take some pics and keep you updated.

Cheers

Back