Single Bed Build

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gc

Established Member
Reaction score
Built a single bed for our two year old daughter a couple of months ago but forgot to take WIP pictures and never got round to posting any pictures since the new arrival of our son. Finally took some the other night so here it is.

Excuse the picture quality, taken on phone.

The bed was built using redwood and both ends assembled with mortice and tennon joints. The side rails were attached with bed bolts and double mortice and tennons so that it could easily be disassembled if required.

The finish after all primed was 2 coats of satinwood. The tops of the bed ends got 2 coats of antique pine stain with a clear wax finish.

Bed Bolts
http://www.scfhardware.co.uk/produc...5_all_thread/a774138ecb1515d7ae71502f570b122f

5172764168_2cb1823195.jpg

5172841948_d15367439e.jpg

5172171541_537e17d6a7.jpg

Still to make the under bed drawers to finish it off.

This has been the biggest project i have taken on so far and really enjoyed it. Keep looking round the house thinking what i can do next.... you think i may have the bug!

I will try get pictures with the bedding and mattress off and once drawers are finished.

All comments good or bad welcome

Looks like a nice, clean, no fuss contemporary bed, well done!

"Keep looking round the house thinking what i can do next....", just try not to say that out aloud to the wife/partner, they have a tendency of finding things that could be done.....even if they dont need to be!! :lol:

Started on the drawers however in rushing to get as much done as possible on the first night i made an error and cut to much off the wrong side of the base for the drawers (so annoyed i didnt double check as i usually would).

So instead of having the base sitting in a rebate on all sides it will now be biscuit jointed to each side. So my question is will this be strong enough for the base when toys etc are put in or should i look to reinforce bottom?

The sides are all 12mm mdf and the base is 9mm mdf.

GC

Been there, done that. I did the same as you plan to in order to get round the problem (although my base was 12mm ply) I used more biscuits than I normally would have, to give it a bit more load bearing capability, however, there won't be a lot of mdf either side of the biscuit if youre using 9mm. A good dose of titebond III all round and its solid as a rock. The drawer that I made a mess of went on to house Le Creuset pans with no problems.

Alternatively just make one the right size :wink:

Vinny

Thanks Vinny, the amount of mdf either side of the biscuit is what i was worried about, wasnt sure if this would be strong enough. I will make sure i use more biscuits than planned and see how it goes on the first drawer.

Latest posts

Back