Silky oak

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pete honeyman

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a customer, who having bought two square bowls, wanted another - the White Pear one I made was no good because she didn't like the 'cracks' (I call them features) so hopefully this one will do.

the Silky oak is unusual, It turns nicely, but seems oily, clogs sandpaper very quickly, but the texture is certainly different. Not sure I like it that much.

2926582778_afa345df0b.jpg

2924627657_fd61927754_m.jpg

Pete

Hi Pete,

Good looking piece. Hmm Silky Oak maybe rare in Scotland. But down under we have some 60+ varieties and most turn real well and take oil finish even better.
Silky Oak is one of my favourites, depending how its cut will have a great deal to do with how the bowl looks,plus its soft and turns easily.

Whatever you think of the wood, the platter looks good, probably better for being in a plainer wood. Can't really see it looking so nice in a more dramatic grainy / figured wood. Not easy to make well IME. Worth it when one turns out that nice

Pete

Very nice,Pete (II) :D
I agree with Pete - looks great,well executed,and something more decorative could well have overpowered it.

Andrew

Latest posts

Back