Signing your work

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tazmaniandevil

Established Member
Reaction score
How many sign and/or number your work? I have done a couple of things for folk, who have asked me to sign the pieces.
Now, I can't draw, or write, for toffee. Never could. My late Mum described my handwriting as "a hen with dirty feet walking across the paper."
I have tried over the years to improve my writing & drawing, but just can't seem to get anywhere.
Would it be possible, does anyone know, to have a "branding iron" type device made up so I could burn my name into my work? I don't know of anyone local tome who could/would do something along those lines.

I sign & date most of my work on the base using a pyrography iron. I usually make a note of what kind of wood I've used as well. I write what I intend to pyrograph using a soft pencil first and pyrograph over that to make sure it looks neat.

Toolpost stock branding irons for wood which can be custom-made with text and a logo - http://www.toolpost.co.uk/images/Branding.pdf

I write my initials, the date as month and year (813) and the wood type. I use an extra fine fibre tip pen.
I would like the branding iron idea but it would be difficult to do sequential numbers.

i have recently tried decal paper. this comes in A4 sheets which you can print on with ink jet printers. i have printed logos/characters/emblems and what ever writing in what ever font/size/shape is required.
You put it onto the finished bare wood [as you would onto a toy car for example] before finishing. After applying the finish, the edge of the decal is all but invisible.

I've looked at the branding iron solution - I found them too large and too expensive.
One suggestion I've heard of is to use letter punch/stamps (eg Machine mart £10 for 2.5mm letter height). Joining them together to get your name eg tack weld or jubilee clip and then heating them and brand the wood.

Brian

finneyb":2vw0730j said:
I've looked at the branding iron solution - I found them too large and too expensive.
One suggestion I've heard of is to use letter punch/stamps (eg Machine mart £10 for 2.5mm letter height). Joining them together to get your name eg tack weld or jubilee clip and then heating them and brand the wood.

Brian

Or, stamp the wood, sand then steam it to give a relief finish. May try that.

Toolpost have personalised branding irons in a variety of sizes, unless anyone comes up with any others these are the ones I will probably go with.
Regards,
Chris.

Back