Show me your.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhwbigley

Established Member
Reaction score
..chip extraction hoods for planer thicknessers..

is it just a few bits of mdf, carpenters glue and a few brads???

Thanks

JHB

I only have a thicknesser but this is my chip extraction technology

3736870487_4c2f532237.jpg

on lots of machines the extractor hood is also the safety guard...

fancy an MDF and nail guard for a 5-10kg cutter block?

Aidan

Basically, my extractor is the same as Sean's. But doesn't have the cheeks extended below the infeed table, so it can also be slipped into the thicknesser part to give extraction when surfacing. I clamp it on to the planer fence to keep it in position when thicknessing.
I take the point about escaped blades flying through plywood, and do intend some time to make a slightly tidied up design in 1.5mm steel. But am still looking for the tuit. :)

jhwbigley":ofhux7p9 said:
big soft moose":ofhux7p9 said:

Me too,

DSCN0174.jpg

But getting a little tired of it now :roll:

JHB

All this looks so familiar!

I am tired of it too, but I just don't have the room for an extraction system. So I hang a mask and safety specs on a nail!

John :D

Benchwayze":3crsewkz said:
jhwbigley":3crsewkz said:
big soft moose":3crsewkz said:

Me too,

DSCN0174.jpg

But getting a little tired of it now :roll:

JHB

All this looks so familiar!

I am tired of it too, but I just don't have the room for an extraction system. So I hang a mask and safety specs on a nail!

John :D

:lol: its a right pain when i'm thicknessing short lengths, all ends up in my face...

what gauge sheet steel would i need to use if i made a metal one??

could do a right proper job, even paint the thing too.

Thanks for all your input guys.

JHB

The one on my Sedgwick MB is 2mm thick steel. I can't recall the corresponding SWG measurement.

If you could find a manufacturer of steel ventilation 'trunking', you could perhaps dive their skip and find enough galvanised offcutsl to fabricate one using pop-rivets.

Failing that you'll have to buy sheet steel I suppose. Woodworker I may be, but I would be tempted to make a metal version.

Just for the fun of it!

John :)

You might want to consider making it from aluminium alloy sheet. A lot easier to work, no rust and no need to paint. Pop rivets are nice and easy to use either way.
Sheet metal is mainly metric these days 1.5 to 2mm should be fine 1.5 is easier to bend but if you design out of flat sheet and make the corners from alloy angle it will possibly turn out prettier.

if you plan to weld it, then i'd advise sticking with steel. Aluminium needs lots more skill to weld without blowing holes in it.

Good luck

Bob

9fingers":12g2tw3d said:
You might want to consider making it from aluminium alloy sheet. A lot easier to work, no rust and no need to paint. Pop rivets are nice and easy to use either way.
Sheet metal is mainly metric these days 1.5 to 2mm should be fine 1.5 is easier to bend but if you design out of flat sheet and make the corners from alloy angle it will possibly turn out prettier.

if you plan to weld it, then i'd advise sticking with steel. Aluminium needs lots more skill to weld without blowing holes in it.

Good luck

Bob

thanks Bob and John

I might have soon 2mm steel kicking about, maybe this is the ideal project for my dad to teach me how to gas weld :-k failing that it will be pop rivets

since you don't use your extraction John, we might as well swap planer thicknessers :lol:

JHB

I considered alloy too Bob, but I thought it might prove to be more expensive. Another alternative, also not cheap, is tufnol. That can be fabricated eaily too, with virtually no maintenance.

John :)

Not sure about the price of aluminium. Certainly dearer than steel but no need for finishing and easier to work.
I'm still working my way through al. alloy offcuts supplied 'for evaluation' from work days. I'm lucky in that I can still pop in and scrounge the odd bit and use the sheet metalworking machines. :D

I have been buying steel recently to feed my new found welding habit and that is working out around £1 per kg in small quantities.

In terms of size, I'd expect aluminium to be 3-4 x the price of steel but you don't need much to build a dust chute.

Bob

Don't know the situation in other parts of the country, but up here in Scotland's "cold shoulder", every other steading has been converted into a metal fabrication workshop for agriculture or the oil industry. So steel offcuts are readily available either for free or for nominal money. From what I remember, even Milton Keynes had one or two metal fabricators, so no need to pay Ebay silly prices for small quantities!

Now Mig gas refills, that's another story :(

Latest posts

Back