shoulder plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greengrass1

Reaction score
Shoulder plane I have is wooden with 3/4" blade can I fit a 1/2" blade in it or will I have to get 1/2" shoulder plane?. I need 6 1/2" dado's in cabinet for shelving in my workshop. thanks in advance.

If you meant dado's or trenches then a shoulder plane ain't the tool for the job.
An old woman's/hags tooth might be the ticket.

Here's a video regarding tapered sliding dovetails, which might be of use,
It's basically the same thing, should you wish to do things without a router.
19 mins in I see the block used for a guide, not sure if he knifed a line beforehand, depending on your material might be a good idea to create a ledge for the saw too, if necessary.

Router plane
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3519243.m570.l1313&_nkw=+router+plane&_sacat=0
You can use a knife/scalpel/etc to cut too parallel lines into the board, then maybe use a fine saw to cut to depth, ten use the router plane to take out the middle down to the required depth.

Alternatives are obviously electric router, or if your cross cut mitre saw has that facility, use that.

If its just shelving in a workshop, plain dados and put a couple of screws in from the sides to hold it al together.

I would mark the sides of the dado with a knife line and cut to depth with a saw. If you are not confident with the saw you could widen the knife line on the waste side and/or clamp on a guide block. After cutting the sides remove the waste with a chisel. A plough plane or router plane might be nice but for workshop shelves I probably wouldn't bother.
Better to cut the dado too narrow than too wide. If it is too narrow for the shelf to fit, ease the top side of the shelf with a plane rather than trying to widen the dado.

Back