Gunstock stiles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyb

Established Member
Reaction score
Just trying to get my head around these. I can see one variation having a single angled shoulder simply to transition from groove to rebate that's simple.
The more complex one has 2 angled shoulders and I think needs to be made to fully understand and visualise ... any hints or experiences?

Is the double actually a result of the stile changing in overall width ?
The last I had to do was a result of a client's own decorative glazing being too wide for a standard 30" door.
Cheers, Andy

I don’t actually understand what you mean by two angles shoulders, a transition from groove to rebate hast two angled shoulders one on either end of the rail? Each end has two angles, a long angle to account for the change in style width, and the other to mitre into any moulding.

If visualising the correct shape is a problem,do a thorough setting out on a piece of ply or hardboard.Its never a bad thing and rubbing out a pencil line costs a bit less than scrapping a piece of joinery grade timber.

Sorry deema I was thinking of a single joint. Hence one angled shoulder. And yes the two angled shoulders are when the stile changes width overall. I've also seen this well achieved with a mitre on a moulding.

Sorry deema I was thinking of a single joint. Hence one angled shoulder. And yes the two angled shoulders are when the stile changes width overall. I've also seen this well achieved with a mitre on a moulding.

2 angles on the lock rail shoulders is no problem if it's all marked up properly, but more of a problem shaping them on the stile. Hand-tool work difficult to avoid either way!
Just had a quick look at the one reduced stile door in the this place and the details are quite interesting. I'll do some photos later.
The problem is in joining up the details on the narrow part of the stile (rebate/moulding) with different details on the panelled section below, in a neat line.

They are relatively easy to both layout and cut. You cut the small length angle to be the depth of the moulding and make it 45 degrees. You intersect the tip of this with the long angled cut. A shoulder plane is essential in my opinion to adjust the fit.

Here's one that avoids some complexity by mitring the transition. The change from groove to rebate on one side and groove to moulding on the other could be achieved in a number of ways even curves using templates. A change in thickness between top and bottom just results in more angle.

Attachments

• 20230508_150049.jpg
    20230508_150049.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
It's actually been inside a greenhouse for hundreds of years at Shugborough Hall. Admiral ansons adventures(misfortunes) are a fascinating read even today.

Back