short gouges - with pictures!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stoatyboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi back again new post same question with added pictures:

so here they are below about ten inches long head to toe - blagged from next door with a lathe thought the gouge shaped ones were gouges but they seem a bit short?

There was one what I would call 'proper' gouge from sorby that is considerably longer in blade and handle and looks like the ones on all the you tube vids these are obviously different

I ask because after the home made tools thread I'm wondering about safety

The big chunky one with 'ck' stamped in it has a 7mm thick blade - it's a beast!

any ideas appreciated - ta

Attachments

• P8250192.JPG
    P8250192.JPG
    249.5 KB · Views: 687
  • P8250193.JPG
    P8250193.JPG
    247.6 KB · Views: 687
My opinion on these is the same as on the other thread. I wouldn't let them near my lathe. There is no way that there would be enough leverage with handles that short. The lathe would rip them out of your hands with a catch and do you damage.

Even a cheap set that comes with a cheap lathe would be better. Much better is to buy two or three decent tools. You can always expand your collection later.

Those are not lathe tools.
The top ones are mostly mortice chisels.

I'll link your post the hand tool forum, maybe someone can be more definitive about what you have.

post611428.html#p611428

thanks guys - kind of what I expected but didn't want to be too hasty!

quite a bit of work to do getting the lathe up and running so should be enough time to find some decent turning tools

I bet Alf knows what they are!!

regards - Pete

Yes not lathe tools! Still usable (with care) on spindles or anything with very slow surface speed.
Top are mortice chisels, bottom carving gouges.

Top ones are, indeed mortise chisels. At least I always call those very narrow but deep variety (top two) mortise chisels, but terminology in chisels is... flexible. Other two are oval bolstered mortise chisels. They're very short though, so it may well be they've been sharpened past the laminated steel by now.

Bottom ones, apart from the unhandled non-beveled firmer chisel on the right, are firmer gouges rather than carving gouges. Used at the bench like you would a chisel, only for curvy requirements.

None are suitable for a powered lathe - you might get away with it on a pole lathe though.

Thanks guys - as a complete turning novice I think i'll leave well alone!

but at least I've got myself a project to sort out the firmer/carving gouges and might end up with a set of something i'd not have otherwise. And I can practice my turning skills trying to emulate Alfs gorgeous London handles.

I think Jacob might have already been at the bolstered mortice chisels as they've got a very rounded bevel (puts on tin hat and ducks for cover!!)

Thanks for your input I appreciate it

Cheers

Stoaty

If you are on a tight budget, Axminster have a cheap, own-brand range which includes roughing gouge, spindle gouge, skew, and bowl gouge - all around the 10 quid mark. In the hands of this complete novice, they have so far worked fine, so they can't be that bad.

They look just the job cheers - if no boot sale bargains present themselves before the lathe is ready then they are on the list

many thanks

As with other comments...those are for standy wood not whizzy wood...use those on the lathe and you'll never play the guitar again! :mrgreen:

Imagine if you will....you are the player in a tennis game where your opponent is one of those tennis ball machines you see in Miami Vice. Imagine then substituting the balls for those pig stickers and still stand where you are.... :shock: That's about it.... :wink:

If you pop over to Axminster Sittingbourne...you have to pass my abode...I might be interested in the pig stickers...and may have some "spare" turning stuff.... :wink:

PM me if you are whizzing down the M26 at anytime soon!

Jim

jimi43":1dqhky90 said:
......use those on the lathe and you'll never play the guitar again! ...
Jim
A bit alarmist that. Too fast and you might get a dig in or a bent tool (where the tangs are thin) but given slow surface speed you can use any old bit of iron (with normal care). Try scraping cuts before slicing cuts.

Jacob":1zlcf8wc said:
jimi43":1zlcf8wc said:
Jim
A bit alarmist that. Too fast and you might get a dig in or a bent tool (where the tangs are thin) but given slow surface speed you can use any old bit of iron (with normal care). Try scraping cuts before slicing cuts.

I take it you don't watch Fawlty Towers then Jacob? :mrgreen: :wink:

Jim

jimi43":19y8ol9y said:
Jacob":19y8ol9y said:
jimi43":19y8ol9y said:
Jim

I take it you don't watch Fawlty Towers then Jacob? :mrgreen: :wink:

Jim

Or Kenny Everett :shock:

again thanks for the input and the offer if i'm down the M26 - but how did you know I play guitar?

as for the fawlty towers kenny everett - you've lost me. all I can remember of kenny everett was cleo rochas!!

Cheers

Listen and enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBbez-h7pQ0

I tried to find the one where he found that Mikky Asprin ne Michael Aspin had done an english LP teaching people to pronounce English awfully correctly! All about a teak table. I heard it as I got to a roundabout to join the M4. I nearly drove straight across it I laughed so much :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back