Shopsmith etc

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan B

Reaction score
I am seriously considering selling my Shopsmith and accessories. This would be my first use of the forum etc. should it try to sell separately or as a complete package? Do I try and photograph everything separately.
My next question would be what sort of lathe should I try to buy to replace the one on the Shopsmith?
Grateful for any advice.
Alan

I would have to agree with the first responder. I once went to a woodwork show where they had them on sale. No one seemed interested in them. I asked the vendor a question and therefore showed some interest. After I walked away another of the guys watching asked if I wanted to buy his which included virtually every attachment. He offered it to me for £500.

I don't know why they don't have a resale value here in the UK considering space is an issue with most with a home workshop.

Good luck with the sale. Try it in the for sale section with as many pics as you can. You may get an acceptable offer.

Good luck

David

I used mine for 20 years and it served me well, but the problem with them is that they are not particularly good at any one thing - as a saw they're too high, as a lathe they're to low, as a router they're too slow, and so on.

The advice and comments received unfortunately have the ring of truth about them. Why is it that we place a greater value on what we have than others.
I think I will get busy with my camera and see what happens in the sale section.

I have been keeping my eye on the for sale section as I could be interested in this.
Do you intend to list it there?

I always liked the idea of the Shopsmith. Maybe that was because it was similar in concept to the Coronet Major lathe-based combination machine. But like the Shopsmith, my Coronet isn't worth a lot today. I have had it since 1971. At the moment it's dismantled, as I am slowly reorganising my shop, to find storage and using-space for the MFT-3 and associated green and grey stuff. But for sure, the lathe is going to be set-up again, (sans table-saw attachment) even if I have to buy a ten by eight shed, in which to keep it!

So my advice would be don't sell your shopsmith.

HTH :)

Spell-checkers will be much better, when they find a way to 'weed-out' typos that are properly spelled words in the wrong place.

I have decided to sell my Shopsmith and all its accessories. My only problem is that I can't seem to find out how to do it on the site. Frustrating as I have even taken the photos! Anyway I will keep trying and get it on the website.

I have now discovered that until I make another 16 posts I cannot sell on the site. I hope that by talking direct to you I am not breaking any rules but I am willing to sell direct if you are interested. If not I will use ebay to try and get my garage back!

Hi Alan, if you sell on here you will know it will go to somebody who appreciates it (hammer)

Have a look at the various projects and find 16 you like and add a favourable comment :lol: Simples.

Regards Keith

I am probably going to take a bit of time as I am about to have some enforced absence from both my workshop and my computer, however I do appreciate the advice offered.

I put my Shopsmith for sale on EBay with a reserve price and a buy it now figure. It tok all of 6 hours to sell and four days later the buyer drove from Kent to Cumbria early morning to collect it. Job done now I can concentrate on turning.

Back