Shooting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Air rifle (HFT, rabbits)
Air Pistol (targets)
Firearms (rabbits, some target)
Shotguns (clays, game)

Shoot for leisure and for hunting with all (except the pistol), have shot for many years. More than happy to answer any questions!

NazNomad":2blyaay3 said:
Harbo":2blyaay3 said:
Just Rats with my air rifle :)

Rod

Same ... and squirrels.

I hope you mean American grey tree rats :)

the little brownish orangey coloured ones are just too cute.

Oddly I have nearly always hunted with a rifle, rabbits and woodpigeons. and always for meat.

The council removed a bin just up the path from my house because they didn't have the budget for it. The resulting rubbish thrown in to the bushes because people can't be bothered to walk an extra 50 feet before throwing it away has caused what seems like thousands of rats to move in.

I think my dad's old air rifle would get some serious use, but there's probably laws about shooting in built up areas.

BearTricks":17t7xmzh said:
I think my dad's old air rifle would get some serious use, but there's probably laws about shooting in built up areas.

50 feet from the centre of a highway for starters.

good air rifle, silencer (oops, sorry, sound moderator) and an upstairs window at night, No danger of the pellet flying down the road if you miss.

sunnybob":3lb7eb30 said:
good air rifle, silencer (oops, sorry, sound moderator) and an upstairs window at night, No danger of the pellet flying down the road if you miss.

Wow , real responsible comment Bob.
Give the public, government, campaigners and anti gun crowd the chance and air weapons will be gone as well.

no legs....
being PC didnt help in 88 when they took away the rifles. it didnt help in 97 when they took away the pistols. Both of those as a result of Police incompetence and mismanagement. Do you think ANY politician is going to let air rifles get away with being?

sunnybob":37nhz981 said:
no legs....
being PC didnt help in 88 when they took away the rifles. it didnt help in 97 when they took away the pistols. Both of those as a result of Police incompetence and mismanagement. Do you think ANY politician is going to let air rifles get away with being?

Sorry Bob, I wasn't trying to be PC. If you really are a gun enthusiast it surprises me you would make the comment in the first place.
We're not in '88 or '97, we've all moved on and learned to live with what we have left. I for one used to love the shooting meets of old and don't want the sport/interest diminished any further.
Just don't give anyone any more, and excuse the pun, ammo than needed.
Projecting an impression of responsibility and competence would be more like it.

Not looking for a row mate, just disappointed to read a comment like that.

I was being safe. Note I took into account the possibility of overshoot (lol).

Sadly, nothing that you or I say or do will have any effect on anyones point of view. Its a subject that youre either for or against and in over 30 years of shooting I have never heard of anyone changing sides.

And we are talking about vermin control, doing the councils job for them.

I used to shoot a LOT of clays, 20-25k a year, not so much recently due to Family issues and a massive cut in income :( Also use to shoot rifles from .22LR through 7.62mm and .308 at target and vermin.

It is very enjoyable, safe and I have made a lot of great friends whilst shooting and refereeing on the circuit.

You can get started very cheaply; however make sure you have lessons with a Coach who will help you find a gun that suits you. The most important thing is that the gun fits you. You will shoot better with a sub £200 gun that fits you than with a £10k gun that doesn't!

Shotgun cartridges vary widely in price but you can pick up decent cartridges for well less than £200 a thousand for clays.

Have a look at www.cpsa.co.uk who are the UK governing body and you will find local clubs and coaches on there to get you started. Once you start you will get chatting to people and find smaller grounds that operate once a fortnight or monthly.

Main thing you need to get started are lessons to see if you like it; if you do, which i'm sure you will :) you then look at the next steps:

Apply for your Shotgun Certificate £60
Get a gun cabinet and install it £130+ Go for a 3 or 5 gun cabinet as you will end up with more than 1 gun :)
Join the CPSA for insurance etc.
Get some decent glasses & hearing protection.
Once your SGC is granted you can go out and shoot without being accompanied at a ground.

Once you progress you will upgrade bits, glasses, hearing protection, shooting bag etc. I started with a £125 Baikal 28" O\U which I no longer have but my main Competition Guns are Beretta AL391 Semi Auto's which have been fitted to me.

Good luck and enjoy!

If you need any help locating a ground or Coach local to you PM me as I know quite a few APSI and CPSA Coaches and Instructors who will no doubt know someone near you :)

Cheers,

Jon.

Claymore":1t12wm4d said:
They are recruiting for soldiers at the moment and you even get to see the world, and best of all you don't have to buy your own gun. Better to shoot people than critters who can shoot back.
:)

And if you live in Kent be prepared to wait for nine months for your certificate. There's a huge backlog at the moment

Im glad i'm not the only one who enjoys shooting, i have done for years but only as a back garden plinker. It also means that i can join two of my hobbies together as over the years I have made stocks for my airguns aswell as for other UKCAF members guns.........dom

Funny you should say "pictures", I've just been sorting out my 1000's of pics and came across this one.
My competition rig pre 1997.

my%20pistol%20rig%202_zpsrllywseh.jpg

monkeybiter":116bkqta said:
Cinimod":116bkqta said:
over the years I have made stocks for my airguns aswell as for other UKCAF members guns.........dom

Pictures required.... :)

Hi Mike, I like pics aswell but the depth of my tech knowledge is turning on my ipad1.

Does anyone know if it is possible to copy, cut and paste an image from one forum to this one direct if you have them both open at once :?: :?: :?: ............dom

The simplest way on this forum is to post your pictures online at something like photobucket, or picassa. Once they are online, you just have to open them, right click and copy the img box, then left click and paste in this forum message box.
I dont think it works if the other forum is just taking the pic from your computer each time you log on, at least I havent managed that.

Oh, and looking at your post, DO NOT "cut" anything, youll never see it again

sunnybob":3rnzwb1c said:
Oh, and looking at your post, DO NOT "cut" anything, youll never see it again

Told you I didn't have a clue :D :D :sign3: :sign3: . I'll try to follow and see what happens, I just wondered if there was a quicker way rather than going via photo bucket........dom

Latest posts

Back