Shooting for Perfection

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek Cohen (Perth Oz)

Established Member
Reaction score
I have put together an article on post-construction testing of a shooting board. I think some of you will find it interesting.

There are a couple of new features as well.

This is also the last board I shall make for some months - too many projects to build for home. I am more than happy to provide help if you want to build your own.

The link: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTools/ShootingforPerfection.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

thanks derek, very good article. Got me inspired to add a donkey's ear accessory to my own shooting board

paul

Derek, I agree with Paul - a good article and one that may finally inspire me to actually make one! Your article is the first I have seen that uses a ramp and that makes perfect sense to increase the use of the plane blade.

One thing intrigued me - I always thought these were made 'in the workshop' yet you (being in Perth?) made two for an American customer to choose from..... is there an untapped american market for workshop jigs???

Thanks Dave

Dave

It may help understand my perspective if you replace "shooting board" with "hand plane". These boards are not simple jigs but rather complex jigs. They are precision instruments in a world of rough-and-ready tools. They take much more time and effort to build than any woodie I have made to date.

I generally recommend that one makes a shooting board for themselves, or at least tries to do so. Then again, I also support others making handplanes and other tools for themselves, and my website has a number of tutorials to help in this regard.

Tools do not need to be complex. There are simple shooting boards (see my website) and there are simple hand planes. Simple can work just as well as complex. Why is it that some gravitate to simple and some gravitate to complex?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek

Thanks for the interesting write, perfection as always.

I use a shooting board quite a lot and the one I have in use is a rough plywood version, but hey is does the job. but I'm inspired to have a go at your version in a couple of weeks time, so you may be getting the odd PM when I need advice.

Waka":10spxhep said:
Derek

I use a shooting board quite a lot and the one I have in use is a rough plywood version, but hey is does the job. but I'm inspired to have a go at your version in a couple of weeks time, so you may be getting the odd PM when I need advice.

Waka - have you got any decent planes that you could use on it though? :lol: - Rob

woodbloke":3o42xys2 said:
Waka":3o42xys2 said:
Derek

Waka - have you got any decent planes that you could use on it though? :lol: - Rob

Well I do have an LN #9 :lol:

Latest posts

Back