shooting boards

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
engineer one":2trptpu9 said:
one thing you cannot complain about is that i don't stick to my point even if it makes me look dumb :roll:

paul :wink:

A man after my own heart :) I'll even do it in public.
Cheers Mike

blimey mike please no flashing :roll: :twisted:

knowledge is power, since i have so much how come i can't produce electricity :cry:

Paul,

You said in your bookshelf thread that your shooting board problems have been finally solved. So what was the solution - was it the sharpening :? :? Don't keep us in suspense.......

Cheers :wink:

Paul

shucks thought you had missed it :lol:

actually i am still working to a proper solution, some of it is that i was certainly trying to plane wood too thick.

in particular the square lumps.

secondly sharpening was correctly identified as a problem, but not the only one, the other problems which i will address are fixing the end stop rather than having it as a sliding fixture, and finally holding and holding down the strips that i need to hold.

next is to organise my practice which is slowly coming along.

update later.

thanks paul for everything
8)

paul you asked for an actual update,

today i have firmly fixed rather than wedged the end stop,

and made the following shavings in a wierdly shaped piece of oak. not this time too thick.

decent shavings, now i understand more it seems easier.

so it was worth getting to the end.

th_waxedplaneaswell.jpg
[/url]

you can just about see the candle wax on the sole and face of the number 9. now it does what i had hoped it would. :? 8)

thanks for all your help

not perfect but definately getting there, so soon another, better board :roll:

[/img]

Paul the Engineer :D - If I could chip in my 2 Euro's worth here, it looks to me from the pics that you're getting there. I haven't been closely following this thread so don't know all the ramifications of what's been happening or no, but would make a couple of observations based on the pic evidence:
The plane appears to have been taking off a thicker shaving than I would normally expect it to do and as a consequence it has munched off some bits of the end stop at some time. With a tool like the LN No9 there's little chance of it rocking as there is so much metal in contact with the wood, but it might be worth re-appraising how the plane is held so that the pressure is 'down and forward' rather than 'down and sideways' if you follow, difficult to explain, easier to do.
Apologies if this has covered any old ground or muddied up any progress you've made....going to go away now and have another good sulk :( 'cos I haven't got a LN No9 as well :lol: - Rob

now that's a back handed compliment to a very subtle gloat :lol:

i think.

actually rob, the end stop is a little misleading, and may have been the cause of more problems than i expected before i screwed it down.
the mess at the edge was due to me cleaning it up with a chisel to give it a kind of under cut at the bottom edge. i think because i had moved in the wedge, it was not vertical, and may well have been causing some of the problems.

as for the latest shavings i must agree with you , but am happy that i can produce them since much of the earlier stuff was dust. i need to set things to be somewhere between the two.

next step may well be to try and check out mr charlesworths writings and dvd's to see whether i can make things both better and easier.
:?
thanks again

I happened to be working on a little box today and making use of the shooting board. I decided to snap a few pics I made with the LN LAJ.

normal_imgp0002%7E0.jpg

And a close up of the oak shavings. This is a 1/2" board which probably accounts for the length of the shavings. But they are so thin I could probably blow on them and they would fall apart.

normal_imgp0005%7E0.jpg

Latest posts

Back