Shooting Board

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PerranOak":3hyjxwg6 said:
woodbloke":3hyjxwg6 said:
PO - t'would be far easier if someone could show you how a well set up shooter works...shame Alf has departed as she was in your neck of the woods - Rob

Departed?
Not deceased I hasten to add...just no longer posting on this forum, more's the pity :cry: - Rob

Al seems to have given up the woodworking for the time being (according to her blog)
Let's hope she catches the bug soon.
Philly :D

PerranOak":3szshaqo said:
Yes, it's a shame.

she sent me a very nice and helpful email once.
Maybe you should drop her a line. She might take a few minutes to show you anyway, I know I wouldn't mind helping out if I could... I've just learned all I know about shooting boards from this very thread though. Sorry.

Sorry to jump in, I've just started reading this thread.

Rich":20xqw5lu said:
I don't have a shooting board, but I have learnt by trial and error, that when edge planing, I get a much better finish if I turn the plane to say, 45 degs to the forward direction and use the cutting action as per a guillotine.

Rich.

Now if only I could remember where I was reading of shooting boards with sloping beds, which will of course produce a form of 'slicing' cut. The bed on which the plane slid is higher at the starting end.

xy

xy mosian":3bzzkk8v said:
Sorry to jump in, I've just started reading this thread.

Rich":3bzzkk8v said:
I don't have a shooting board, but I have learnt by trial and error, that when edge planing, I get a much better finish if I turn the plane to say, 45 degs to the forward direction and use the cutting action as per a guillotine.

Rich.

Now if only I could remember where I was reading of shooting boards with sloping beds, which will of course produce a form of 'slicing' cut. The bed on which the plane slid is higher at the starting end.

xy

xy- i think you mean this one - I bookmarked it months ago but have not yet built a shooting board...

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTools/ShootingforPerfection.html

Dave

Dave, certainly along those lines, but I think I was reading a blog or a forum at the time. However I think the sloping bed would help keep the workpiece tight against the fence if nothing else.

xy

Back