Shooting Board Plane Req'd

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markymark

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just built my first Shooting board but I am lacking one important component. A plane. I assume I need a low angle plane for taking off thin shavings from the end grain of various woods.

I am only a beginner so Price is crucial. What can you advise?

Mark

Hi Mark

What planes do you have at the moment? Any?

Cheers

Karl

Markymark":3cv3eomc said:
I have just built my first Shooting board but I am lacking one important component. A plane. I assume I need a low angle plane for taking off thin shavings from the end grain of various woods.

I am only a beginner so Price is crucial. What can you advise?

Mark

The ideal plane is a LN No 9 Mitre...but it's a lot :shock: of wedge. Failing that you might be able to find a Record T5 for a reasonable price but you're best bet by far is to contact Philly of this parish :wink: and see what a wooden mitre plane will set you back - Rob

Hi Karl

None at the Moment. Just getting slowly kitted out.

WoodBloke

I do Agree buy the best LN but a lot of things to accrue in very little time so my budget wont go that far yet.

Mark

Markymark":1ejlwwqk said:
Hi Karl

None at the Moment. Just getting slowly kitted out.

Mark

I wouldn't stress about it being a low angle plane in that case. A standard bailey type plane is perfectly useable on a shooting board. Better to buy one versatile plane than one which is solely for use on a shootig board.

So the question is - how much have you got to splash? Plenty of folks on here able to help you spend it!

Cheers

Karl

For your first plane i would go for an old Record 5 1/2 from ebay. You will be able to use this on a shooting board, it will also smooth and joint smallish edges. Plus it's not going to cost the earth. Just make sure you don't buy a new one, go for something older (better steel and manufacturing). The ones with square blades at the top and flat frogs will be older.

ebay link

Something like this maybe.

Or if you have the cash to splash maybe go for a Clifton and keep it British. :D

Mark - I agree with Karl. A ordinary Record or Stanley jack can be used on a shooter and a decent second hand one can be bought for £25-35. If you want to push the boat a bit further and get something much better which will work really well on a shooter and is a really good general bench plane, you can't IMO better a LV LA jack...but they're a bit more than £30. I'd advise you to try out all the options before you buy anything. If you're close to another forum member who's got something you fancy having a play with, it might be worth making contact via a PM...where are you? - Rob

Ummmm How much cash to splash?

As a Yorkshire Man as little as I can for the right product. I will probably want a No. 4 Plane and a No. 7 Plane eww and a no. 93 shoulder plane.

How much should one cost?

Mark

Mark

I would consider buying 2nd hand off e-bay. I have seen the Veritas LAJ which Rob refers to go for as little as £94 plus p&p (note to self - why the hell didn't you buy it?). If that's a little rich for you, consider a 5 1/2 or 6 Record or Stanley as others have suggested.

As for the shoulder plane, I would contact Philly (http://www.phillyplanes.co.uk) and ask him (nicely) to make you a shoulder plane. The Stanleys I have seen go for not much less, and are inferior (IMHO).

HTH

Cheers

Karl

Mark,

Whatever plane you use for shooting, what it must have is a flat sole. Depending on whether or not you are left handed, at least one of the sides must be flat and dead square to the sole. Otherwise the best plane in the world is useless for a shooting-board.

I'd go for a Philly, followed closely by an old Record T12, that you'll have to fettle.

Good Luck
:)

I got a Veritas BUS specifically for shooting and it works very very well for that job. The good thing about the Veritas BUS is that it's also a useful plane around the wrokshop as general smoother and I prefer it in my big hands than the trad style. However, soon after I bought it I went into the workshop one day to find an LN No.9 sitting on my workbench. I have no idea how it got there, but it really is the ultimate tool for this job!! The only other plane I have used, that I would say is perfect for shooting, is Philly's which I tried at West Dean.

There's no doubt a No. 9 makes the job easier. I am continually amazed at the end grain shavings it produces (with a ~10 deg back bevel sharpened at about 32 deg) and how long it keeps producing them beween sharpeings. Other low angle planes would also do the trick if sides supportive enough. Personally I like the weight, (and even thought about adding some lead to take it up to Holtey weight) but wooden planes did the job for centuries!

wizer":2uh0lonm said:
I got a Veritas BUS specifically for shooting and it works very very well for that job.

A BUS (Bevel Up Smoother) has rounded sites so is really bad to shoot. Think You have a LAS (Low angle Smoother) or a LAJ (Low Angle Jack). :wink:

Cheers
Pedder

I've made that mistake before.

It is indeed the LAS

Sorry. #-o

wizer":wbei545l said:
I've made that mistake before.

It is indeed the LAS

Sorry. #-o

Easy mistake to make - cos both names suit both planes equally well - they are both low angle and bevel up. Never really understood the logic behind the naming by LV.

Cheers

Karl

Benchwayze":3miezfgw said:
Whatever plane you use for shooting, what it must have is a flat sole. Depending on whether or not you are left handed, at least one of the sides must be flat and dead square to the sole. Otherwise the best plane in the world is useless for a shooting-board.

Not so - using the lateral adjuster will bring the blade into square with the edge being worked. Covered by DC in his DVD on shooting techniques.

Cheers

Karl

karl":8i382jky said:
Benchwayze":8i382jky said:

Not so - using the lateral adjuster will bring the blade into square with the edge being worked. Covered by DC in his DVD on shooting techniques.

Cheers

Karl

...until your fingers nudge it when it's in use :x - Rob

karl":mgvk8lga said:
Benchwayze":mgvk8lga said:

Cheers

Karl

I have heard this argument before. I won't say DC is wrong, because he isn't, but I fall into the school of:

Get the sides square to the sole and there's no need for extra fiddling.
Edit:

Nor, come to think of it, the need to hold the plane in a set position to make sure it doesn't rock on a square runway. I suppose you could always shim up the workpiece, or the plane body, but that seems like 'codging' to me. Nah! Gerrit square, or use a guillotine.. :)

Cheers

Back