Shiplap or FeatherEdge ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Shmoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Building a large storage-shed in the garden, but trying to keep costs down. I can get Barn Grade Featheredge 32x175 for £1.25 per m, which I thought was pretty good and cheaper than 19mm Shiplap, I think ?

I've always used shiplap in the past, but as this shed will be out the way, Im not fussed about it having a more 'rustic' look if I can get it built cheaper.

Are there any downsides to using featherboard, and what kind of overlap will be needed on a 32x175mm profile ?

Thanks
Joe

On 125mm or 150mm boards, you'd normally allow for a 25mm overlap. Sometimes, because it's so thin, you can find that featheredge boards split as you nail in to them, particularly close to the ends of a board.

32mm featheredge is approx 6-8mm wide at the narrow edge so you shouldn't really have problems with splitting. When putting 32mm featheredge on barns my dad uses approx 1.5" overlap, and Vasterns recommends 40mm. I wouldn't recommend the thinner stuff with a 3mm edge.

When putting up featheredge as a one-man job we had a couple of Z or S shaped hooks approx 1.5" deep - hook one end over the board below, then rest the next board on the sticking out bit and it will sit there hands-free so you can concentrate on putting your nails in/checking with a spirit level/having a cuppa. Does that make sense? Its just a bent bit of metal basically, but it makes the job much easier :)

A bit like a couple of these picture rail hooks, only not as smart. Just remember to remove them before you drive the nails fully home :D
MR-RLHK-Website.jpg

I think featheredge can look really nice if done well.
:)

I prefer feather-edge to shiplap (At least the modern shiplap, 'cos after a bit of sun and it dries out warps and splits. )

So does feather-edge these days, but at least you can arrange for a decent overlap so that gaps don't appear. Also it's easier to replace one or two strips, if necessary through splitting.

I am going to re-clad an old shed and the shiplap is coming off for feather-edge replacement. That is unless I buy a metal shed, which is looking an attractive idea! :lol:

HTH
John

I would use feather edge too and put some moisture barrier...like tar paper up first.

If you are going to insulate the inside put the moisture barrier up last (inside).

Jim

Latest posts

Back