Shaw guard springs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcus

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm making some shaw guards like this:

sesm2101.jpg

I need to get the springs made, and I have found some a couple of companies that will do it but they need to know how thick the metal is (I assume this sort of thing is made from spring steel). I don't really know what a suitable thickness would be. Is there anyone who has a similar sort of guard and would be willing to have a quick look and let me know the thickness of the metal?

Thanks!

Attachments

• sesm2101.jpg
    sesm2101.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 215
75 views and no replies eh?

Well I dug out my kity shaw guards and they are about 0.75mm thick and ok for a small spindle. Mine takes up to 125mm blocks

I might be tempted to have a few extras made just in case you want to double up the springs for a bit more oomph if you are going to do some large jobs.

I could do with making some too, so I'd be grateful for any info you could share on suppliers and how you are constructing them.

Thanks,
John.

Hi John,

I have worked out a plan based mostly around stuff I already have, though it's all easy to get. I am going to use two blocks of 30mm square section steel and drill them to accept 20mm steel rods running perpendicular to each other, and then drill and tap a hole at each end of the blocks to take M8 bristol levers

shaw guards.jpg

I will drill/tap the rods as necessary to attach the pressure pad springs. I haven't had to worry about how to attach it all to the machine as fortunately the guard already has an attachment point in the right place which will take 20mm rod.

I expect I will have to file flats on the rod where they engage with the bristol levers to prevent them twisting.

I will let you know who is the cheapest spring supplier once I have some quotes.

I had to laugh — I was making the sketchup drawing just now and I downloaded the bristol lever models from the sketchup 3D warehouse to find that they were originally made by our very own Steve Maskery. Small world isn't it — thanks Steve!

Attachments

• shaw guards.jpg
    shaw guards.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 148
Thanks Marcus - that's really helpful. My vaguely formed ideas were along similar lines and, like you, I have an attachment point on the machine to take a metal rod. I would certainly appreciate info on the spring suppliers when you have got the quotes.

Cheers,
John.

How about old hand saw blades?
Or even cheap hard point saws, they must be good for something ;-)
Pete

Or even cheap hard point saws, they must be good for something

Makes sense if they are thick enough, would they just hand bend into the right shape?

A strip will be hand bendable, I have cut scrapers from a pound shop hand saw with a fine toothed hack saw.

Pete

Back