Sharping a chainsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gitface

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I think it's about time that I got round to sharpening my chainsaw and while there are instructions (if you can call them that) in the manual I was wondering if people know of a good guide to do this.

Cheers.......

Mark...........

Mark.
I was shown this jig by Steve Jones who came down a few weeks back to help me cut up some logs.His chain was sharp and cut through the logs effortlessy.
So Steve got me one and i sharpened one of my blades with the jig and although it is a little fiddly to start with it does do a really good job,setting the required angle,and taking an even amount off with each stroke of the file.
As you can see it clamps to the bar,and just rotates so you can cut both sets of teeth without taking it off.
I will use this jig for when my chain gets too out of shape by my free hand sharpening.

chainsaw3.jpg

chainsaw2.jpg

chainsaw1.jpg

The thing is to sharpen little and often. A few strokes on each tooth with a file every time you refuel for example and it's quick and easy. Leave it too long and it becomes a bigger job and much more tedious.

Cheers, Paul :D

Lidl are selling a chainsaw sharpener this week. Looks like an angle grinder mounted on a jig for holding the chain. A bargain at £19.99

paulm":356k9pyd said:
The thing is to sharpen little and often.

I'll second that. If you're not sure whether the chain needs sharpening - it does :wink:

And mark the first tooth with a felt-tip pen so you know where you started.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Back