Sharpenning carving gouges

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A gouge can be used upside down without an inside bevel, so what does it achieve except adding a couple of extra steps to the sharpening process?

A gouge can be used upside down without an inside bevel, so what does it achieve except adding a couple of extra steps to the sharpening process?
It's a different cut. In trad joinery an "incannel" gouge is used, known as a "sash' or "scribing" gouge and used most often for scribing window ovolo mouldings, rather than mitering them. You could do it with a normal gouge but less easily.

Last edited:
We're talking carving gouges though and as far as I understand the previous post, he's talking about having both an inside and outside bevel on the same tool.

We're talking carving gouges though and as far as I understand the previous post, he's talking about having both an inside and outside bevel on the same tool.
A sash gouge is a carving gouge. One bevel inside instead of out, which is what "incannel" means.

If your gouge dives, you have no room to adjust. Having a bevel on both sides allows you to make an adjustment in the cut either up or down with the gouge used upside down.

I understand it's quite common in wood carving to have a small inner bevel on an (out cannel) carving gouge, but for working on violins I think it's better not to have it, especially for the scroll turns (the "cylinders"), like using a gouge to make a short dowel.

Last edited:
"A sash gouge is a carving gouge. One bevel inside instead of out, which is what "incannel" means."

I know what a scribing gouge and a paring gouge is, I've been a carpenter joiner for 40 years a I wouldn't want to take them anywhere near a woodcarving.

As well as the corner blocks, in-cannel gouges are useful for the insides of the pegbox, sort of like "drilling" out the waste. And for making flat grooves when roughing out the outside of the top and back, which can be done with out-cannel gouges but it's easier with in-cannel gouges.

I know what a scribing gouge and a paring gouge is, I've been a carpenter joiner for 40 years a I wouldn't want to take them anywhere near a woodcarving.
Why on earth not?
Well known local woodcarver, art college trained and earning a living, uses mostly a chain saw!

of course you may or may not want a small inside bevel. but it does lower the push angle in general use.it also can save rusty gouges. but in general use it effectively makes many gouges twice as useful because they can be used upside down.

of course you may or may not want a small inside bevel. but it does lower the push angle in general use.it also can save rusty gouges. but in general use it effectively makes many gouges twice as useful because they can be used upside down.
Are you suggesting that carving gouges can't be used upside down if they don't have an inside bevel ?

think about(or try it) without some lift it's not possible to clear the handle(your knuckles) past the length of the blade. why do you think backbent gouges are back bent. of course that's on straight and gentle hollows. why are straight carvers double bevelled?

just as a concessionary post tools can be made and sharpened as many ways as people using them. violin making could have cuts where an inside bevel is not appropriate....I don't know. I reckon keeping a straight gouge completely without an inside bevel would be nearly impossible.

Are you suggesting that carving gouges can't be used upside down if they don't have an inside bevel ?
They can be used any way you like. You can crack nuts with the handle end. Not many people know this.

think about(or try it) without some lift it's not possible to clear the handle(your knuckles) past the length of the blade. why do you think backbent gouges are back bent. of course that's on straight and gentle hollows. why are straight carvers double bevelled?
I think about it every day and to be honest I've never had a problem using mine upside down without an internal bevel.

I even ground the internal bevel away on the Ashley Isles 2 1/2's I bought. And I also know why back bent gouges are back bent, thank you.

I know that Internet forums can be places to raise pointless arguments about stuff but if you could take the time to answer the o p s question by explaining your method then the forum will be a healthier place. for instance I wouldn't sharpen a gouge without an electric grinder and Jacob wouldn't let one near. his method is equally valid(but slower).

I know that Internet forums can be places to raise pointless arguments about stuff but if you could take the time to answer the o p s question by explaining your method then the forum will be a healthier place. for instance I wouldn't sharpen a gouge without an electric grinder and Jacob wouldn't let one near. his method is equally valid(but slower).

I did reply to his post, maybe you need to take a look at your own forum technique before you criticise mine ?.

Last edited:
sorry Adam I've just read your first post. I apologise you obviously did answer the original question.
your answer is completely wrong of course but there non the less.
I'm just winding you up let's just move on.

Back